Best cheap fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cloudnine, Aug 8, 2008.

1. cloudnine

cloudnine Member

Aside from the Little Big Muff, what cheap fuzzes are out there that sound good and maybe have true bypass? Preferably not a Fuzz Face unless it has a lot of gain.

2. Structo

Structo Member

Haven't tried one but I bought their custom delay and isn't bad.
    The Classic Fuzztown is their version. True bypass.
    They also have the '70s DRIVE BLENDER
    http://www.artecsound.com/effect/index.html

This is where I bought it. Most are around $40-45 and seem like pretty decent pedals.
    Of course they don't have a swirly paint job and you don't have to wait three months for it so it may not appeal to those here.....
    Fast delivery.
    http://stores.ebay.com/GUITAR-FUEL-PERFORMANCE-PRODUCTS_Effect-Pedals_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ21149578QQftidZ2QQtZkm

3. Bonenut

Bonenut Member

Best fuzz for cheap is the Hartman Silicon Fuzz $125.

4. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

If you're willing to spend the time, the do-it-yourself fuzzes are a good deal. There are lots of them out there.

5. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

For cheaper than a LBM, though? The Moen Fuzz Moo is surprisingly good. I like the Dano French Toast, but that is probably not for everyday application. The new Bass Big Muff Pi pretty much nails the green Sovtek BMP tone, and it's only $76... I haven't tried it, but a lot of people seem to like the new Dano fuzz as well.

6. cloudnine

cloudnine Member

Fuzz Face copy? What's it sound like? Sank you.

7. ungarn

ungarn Member

Used SD Tweakfuzz

8. fuzzfan1

fuzzfan1 Member

North of the Cheddar Curtain-Shorewood Wisconsin
    Stress FX Ram Head Clone. True Bypass, quality parts and Jim is a great guy to deal with!. Oh yeah, it sounds killer too! I got mine off of ebay direct from Jim for $86.00 shipped. Can't go wrong IMO!

9. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

The EH Little Big Muff is a nice high gain fuzz. Inexpensive and toneful. Not my fave among my fuzzes, but an excellent bang for the buck choice.

10. iwantmypie

iwantmypie Member

i've never tried one of these but for that price that sounds like that could be the best fuzz for under $100 bucks :banana

11. fuzzfan1

fuzzfan1 Member

North of the Cheddar Curtain-Shorewood Wisconsin
    I think it is! I liked it better than a certain other Ram Head Clone that went for triple that new and is now going for well over $500.00 since it has been discontinued! It really comes close to my vintage EHX Ram Head when A/B'd.

I haven't seen any on ebay lately, but they do pop up in the Emporium from time to time.

I prefer my Vintage EHX Ram Head, Pink Flesh and Hoof, but for $86.00 the Stress FX Ram Head Clone is truly a steal!

12. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
  13. wjrhee

wjrhee Member

i dont know what your definition of cheap is. cheap for one person can be expensive for another.
    but check out byoc fuzz face clone. you can even buy them pre-made at some places.

14. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

I favour the discontinued Jimi Hendrix Systems Classic Fuzz JH-2s..
    Still have it on my board.. :cool:

15. Clint torrez

Clint torrez Member

16. funkycam

funkycam Member

used tweak fuzz is a lot of fun for under $50

17. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Look for used BYOC fuzzes...I've seen them for $50. I've got a MKII and its a fantastic pedal that I wouldn't replace with anything. The kits are around $100 and with a little patience and some solder you can put it together pretty easily...The best part s that they are small, about the size of a Boss tuner. Those fuzz faces and Big Muffs are HUGE.

Assembling pedals is addictive so what happens is a lot of people put together a bunch and then sell them off to make more which is great. They really are as boutique as a pedal can get for the money. I've tested mine againts a 'boutique' version my friend bought for $200 and mine sounded better....(YMMV IMO)

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I JUST got this and am Loving it. There was a write-up in the last Guitar Player about it and I knew right away I needed to try it out.

MAN..it is a Fuzz face, rehoused in a smaller (NICE) box, and has a switchable buffer for being able to handle a wah in front of the fuzz. Works GREAT. Like the reviewer I also found I just plain liked it better with the buffer engaged so I leave it on all the time.

Have only had it a few days, but it sounds REALLY authentic, excellent tone, nice interaction with guitar.
    I think the model is M173 (can get confusing...I asked a local dealer if they had the MXR Classic 108 fuzz" and he thought I was asking about a M108 (whatever box that is)..

19. djinn1973

djinn1973 Member

:agree

20. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'm quite happy with my Boss FZ-3. It's a muff-like fuzz, but different than a muff. Sounds great, does a sweet "Dear Mr. Fantasy" type tone. And it's a boss pedal!

Bought mine for 75 off the emporium