Best cheap, portable USB Guitar interface?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by brain21, Oct 19, 2009.

1. brain21

brain21 Member

I'm looking for the best sound quality USB guitar interface I can find for under $175.

So far the leading contender is the Centrance AxePort Pro.

I see that the Lexicon Alpha is pretty cheap. How is the quality on that? The new Native Instruments mobile recording interface? I know everyone likes the M-Audio stuff, and I've got some of their gear (never liked their internal mixer application - it never works like you think it will). I know that the little $60 USB Guitar thing is not so great from what I've heard, but what about the rest of their sub $175 gear? Does it hold up to their higher-end stuff? Anyone been able to compare that audio quality with that of the Centrance AxePort?

I'm open to anything, but please, I would like recommendations based upon some sort of comparison. If you just happen to love the one you have, thats great for you, but doesn't help me much. :) If someone thinks that the NI Mobile USB guitar interface is great, fine, but that doesn't tell me how it stacks up against the Centrance AxePro or the Lexicon, or some M-Audio or other such interface.

Thanks for any help!

Brain21

2. brain21

brain21 Member

After looking at latency tests, it seems like a lot of the USB interfaces are just insanely slow. Seems like (so far) my best options for lower latency are the AxePort Pro, the ESI UGM96, and the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Looks like the other M-Audio gear (the non-pro version of the Fast Track) has really high latency, same with all of the line6 stuff, etc. Still can't find much on the NI interface. Unfortunately the Apogee One is just too expensive for me right now. The cheapest price I could find it for was $245.

3. KCWM

KCWM Supporting Member

I tried the Fast Track Pro and didn't like it. I used the M-Audio MobilePRE for a while on the lowest latency setting and had little issue. Sadly, I got rid of it because, at the time, there were no 64 bit drivers for it and now there are. I need to pick up another one of those.

4. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

It's more than your price limit, but I use the M-Box Mini and it works great. Maybe look for a used one?

5. scredly

scredly Member

I have a Line 6 TonePort GX and Pod Farm. I use the ASIO driver at 128-samples and latency is not an issue.

I have a StealthPort that I use when I'm traveling. Works well.