Best cheap Tele '52 or Nocaster

re-animator

MIM with upgrades.

I've got a MIM standard with barden bridge + fralins. Sounds every bit as good as a '52 RI to my ears. Only thing i'd change is that the frets and neck are both too small for my tastes. Wanna switch to a fat neck w/ 12" (or compound) radius w/ big frets.

Tramp

Platinum Supporting Member
I've not yet played one, but the Baja Tele is getting great buzz, including a nice review in ToneQuest. $799 new, if memory serves; less used.

HHB

Baja are great! I did a parts guitar w/ a Fender hwy 1 body off ebay and a new Allparts FAT neck and got a really cool "psuedo-no-caster" for under 500, I sold my baja after this guitar came together

l_a003d35ee1213261722f01ab5854f814.jpg

fish78

It looks like building one from parts might be the way to go...is the build within the grasp of a novice...player and builder?

HHB

buy the TUSQ precut nut to go w/the Allparts TMOFAT neck, drops right in, then your jst a drillpress away! it's easily within the reach of someone who can do a decent setup

digthosetubes

Got two of those 1599 GC Nocasters. Heaven.
I almost paid 2300 for the relic. Would have been worth it to me. But I lucked out. Knocking on wood. I liked the 52 with the Duncan neck mini humbucker. Nice guitar. The round thick necks of these Nocasters are a surprising delight. Never played an electric guitar neck I like so well.

big mike

Fixed Bias at 70%
I wouldn't do the squire body.

Check out the used MIM bodies on Ebay.

Johnnytone

Silver Supporting Member
I did a parts guitar w/ a Fender hwy 1 body off ebay and a new Allparts FAT neck and got a really cool "psuedo-no-caster" for under 500

Yup. I have two of these. Set up a little differently.

hw1.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Johnnytone

Silver Supporting Member
I gotta do an Esquire soon, but I want a bound body, sweet guitars Johhnytone!

Thank You. The red one has been stripped (simple with the HW1 bodies)and spraypainted a couple of times. No clear coats or final sandings, it's pretty rough, but I wanted it that way. The neck had been reliced by the previous owner and the back is sanded down to the wood. It is the most comfortable guitar I own, and with the Little 59 and 500k pots, it has a GREATsound.

Dana Olsen

You've probably heard this before, but ...

I have several Strats. The ones I've made by adding good parts are good guitars, but they're not worth near as much as the Custom shop model I have. I bought the CIJ rosewood neck and Tex Mex maple neck for about $400 each, then added pickups, good pots and switches, and a fret level, so I've got maybe $750 each in them, and they're worth maybe $400 if I was to sell 'em.

The Custom Shop Strat is probably worth more than the $1550 I paid for it now. It's cheaper in the short run to build a lower cost parts 'caster, but in the long run, the higher end models hold their value better, especially if purchased used.

Of the lower cost Teles, I like the Baja. Plays good, sounds good.

Something to think about anyway, Dana O.

Johnnytone

Silver Supporting Member
They are both wired the same way:

forward pos has a .0047 cap
middle is volume with no tone control
rear is volume with tone

Trending Topics

Top Bottom