1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

best choice on non-lock trem! Help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SB53, May 19, 2011.

1. SB53

SB53 Member

Hello folks,
    It is obvious that these forums are full of smart and experienced players.
    I do not have the money to try all the diff. non-lok tremolos. I do have a fair amount of woodworking and an intuitive sense of mechanics. That being said, there are so many: super-V, Stetsbar, LSR Beck stlyle, callaham, etc. etc. etc.
    Now I see blade runner, TREM-King...............
    Some of them do not show enough of how they work that even a seasoned old dog like myself can't decide which is the best bet. I have had a great deal of experience taking a LSR Beck stlye non-lok apart and put it back together again better than new (long story), but even with locking tuners it still is not perfect. (locking tuners a must of course, but no nutlok or bridgelok) So would anyone please care to share what you think is the next best thing from my Beck Model?
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve B.

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

The best non-locking trem is not a trem at all!

(its a fixed/hardtail)

Ok, I will justify it: increases sustain and resonance and keeps guitar players from putting themselves out of tune. I use a vintage bridge made of steel, heavy as a mfer and never goes out of tune.

3. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

Not a builder or even much of a tinkerer, but I have had a LOT of luck with the G&L dual-fulcrum tremolo systems. They hold tune well, have a great feel, and are quite sturdy. I highly doubt they would be a drop in replacement for most guitars.

Also, my people here and elsewhere have said good things about the tremel-no, which can be installed in basically any spring based tremolo system to either lock, or unlock in a way that your guitar returns to pitch. Worth looking in to! Best of luck.

4. SB53

SB53 Member

thanks for the tip. I,ll
    look into it.
    Steve B.