Best Chorus Pedals for that 80's Lead Sound

Mariocaster

I think you would do better with the eventide pitchfactor (or micropitch) in the mictopitch or h910/h949 mode. A lot of those guys were using the spx90 or eventide h3000 instead of chorus. If you want the 80s ballad clean chorus sound just add a chorus of your choice.

mrpinter

Gold Supporting Member
Why not go with a pedal that was actually being used in the 80s. It's already been mentioned but I'll add my recommendation for the DC-2 Dimension C. It has a huge, glassy, expansive and "atmospheric" sound like I remember in some of the better recordings from that period.

Blue Lizard

Even though I have an original CE2 (got it for my 13th birthday!), I really like the Keeley 30ms for a bit of Dimension C esque chime. No seasickness and works well with clean and driven tones. I run mine in the loop, in Pro mode but mono.

Malcolmallan

FF66B069-A61C-4497-AD43-826C2CEA6DEA.jpeg

Malcolmallan

This pedal is a tri stereo chorus with preset mode like the original and 100% analog like the original which i think is different to any other tri stereo chorus pedal

I have a silver retrosonic chorus that is awesome. Before I bought this pedal I had a digital boss ce-5 that I thought was pretty good until I got the RS. It sounds completely sterile compared to the RS. The RS just feels so alive under the fingers. It absolutely nails that old Metallica clean “one” and “nothing else matters” tone. Or that scorpions “still loving you” sound. But honestly I don’t particularly care for it overdriven. And that was kind of a disappointment cuz I bought it cuz at the time I was covering a lot of Rush tunes that have that overdriven chorus sound. But Lifeson used a lot of flange and sometimes both together too. It gets a little harsh and messy overdriven. I may even like the ce-5 better for overdriven tunes. But clean it is beautiful. I’ve heard the analog man is great overdriven but I’ve never tried it

Boss Super Chorus CH-1
That's what I would have said but the more recent digital CH-1 does sound slightly different to the older analogue version.

I have a second hand Boss CE-300 rack unit for the analogue thing. Put that next to the CH-1 and there is a subtle difference.

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
Man, I only know of like one person that used a CE-2 back in the 80s. And when I say 80s, I mean like '86 forward. Either peeps had rack gear or they used something like a CH-1.

That said, I use the DC-2W for that sorta thing and it's perfect IMO. Definitely puts the 80s sheen on things.

JZG

Silver Supporting Member
Dimension C is awesome for that stuff. I just picked up a Mr. Black Vintage Ensemble, which also sounds great for those 80's tones.

Liko

Hey everyone,

I've poked around looking at this particular topic, but most are fairly dated so curious to get some fresh insights. I was hoping I could get some insight on a great chorus pedal for lead sounds (light to heavy OD in the mid to late 80s). I basically have that LA session sound and the hair metal lead sound in my head where chorus and delay were used. Curious to hear what pedal people use to achieve that. Analog vs Trichorus for lead sounds? Stereo vs Mono? In front of amp or in the loop, what's the signal chain look like?

Curious to get some insights from the knowledgable folks here. Budget is wide open.

Cheers,
Jesse
If you're going for straight-up no-apology 80s leads, I say go with what they used, the Boss CE-2. Available new in Waza Craft form (which also has a CE-1 mode), they're not even ridiculously expensive (around $200 for a Japanese-built all-analog chorus). If you're into Prince tones, the DC-2W is also available, and if 80s sounds are your thing it's not out of the question to have both pedals in your chain.

I personally have the Walrus Julianna, which has some additional features I like in a chorus (like a ramp feature for Leslie-ish stuff), but mostly I like the flexibility of its control set. It's definitely got thick, soupy 80s sounds in there if you want them, but getting to them is a little more involved to dial in than on the much simpler CE-2. MSRP is $250, you can absolutely beat that price with a little looking around.

Man, I only know of like one person that used a CE-2 back in the 80s. And when I say 80s, I mean like '86 forward. Either peeps had rack gear or they used something like a CH-1.
Clapton, Johnny Marr, Satchmo, Gary Moore, Sting, Robert Fripp, Andy Summers, Mike Inez, I could go on but those are the ones with confirmed dates of use (or at least really old pictures). Not all of them '80s stars, I grant.

This search for "what they actually used" brings up another oldie but goodie in the EHX Small Clone. Quite a few adherents, including Cobain, The Edge and Billy Corgan. Two out of three are more in the 90s crowd, but excellent company to keep in the rock genre.

Last edited:

jbru91

I think you would do better with the eventide pitchfactor (or micropitch) in the mictopitch or h910/h949 mode. A lot of those guys were using the spx90 or eventide h3000 instead of chorus. If you want the 80s ballad clean chorus sound just add a chorus of your choice.

That is interesting. Have to admit I really didn't realize how much this effect was used (thinking it was chorus) in that lead sound I have in my head.

littleb

Silver Supporting Member
I've gone thru a ton of chorus pedals but I keep putting the good ol original tc electronic scf pedal back on my board.My eventide pitchfactor also brings a smile to my face for that detuned thing. I also had a fulltone choral-flange that was nice too.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom