Best Christmas Present Ever!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fender66, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Fender66

Fender66 Member

Hello Guys/Gals....

Looking for some opinions and info if you are so inclined.

Yesterday, my wife surprised me with her uncle's old Gibby. It's a J-50 ADJ. Serial # 901746. I've found 2 sources offering born on dates one saying this is a 1969, the other, 1970. I know he bought it in 1970 in a little town in Illinois, but it could be a 1969?? What do you think?

It is still all original and even had strings on it. The wood is in pretty good shape. Some checking in the finish, and that's about it. The neck is VERY straight, but the action could use a little adjustment. I'm skeptical about restringing it with all that tension until I have it looked at. The last thing I want to do is damage it.

The neck is quite small for what I'm used to, but still playable. The bridge pins need to be replaced for sure as they seem to be pretty worn out and bent, but still in place. I'd like to have it set up, probably adding a new nut and tuners since these may not hold. By replacing all of these parts, (still keeping the old)....what will this do to the value of the guitar?

Thanks for any comments, and have a Blessed Christmas Season and New Year.

Peace,

Chris/Fender66

2. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

According to my book of Gibson guitars. 1970..but that is STRICTLY using the serial number.. need to look up the spec's etc to be sure.

899000 to 899999 1968
    900000 to 901999 1970
    910000 to 999999 1968

3. photoguy

photoguy Member

Nice gift! I have a 1965 that sounds incredible. Original tuners are long gone and the adjustable bridge which already had been replaced was again replaced with a right hand bridge last year when I had the neck re-set.

I have no idea what the value of these are, and I was quite sure that I exceeded the value with the cost of the work I had done, but it's a special guitar to me and I didn't see that I had much of a choice.

I've seen very good condition examples in the 1800-2500 range depending.

Agree, it is a tiny neck but still very playable (with only a little adjusting...)

Photo from before bridge replacement.

[​IMG]

4. Fender66

Fender66 Member

good info so far....

Photoguy...any regrets replacing the adjustable bridge?

5. Fender66

Fender66 Member

Thanks Bluzeboy....what specs are you referring to?