Best clean boost pedal for already overdriven tube amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by the_Chris, Feb 19, 2006.

1. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I have a Bogner Shiva that I'm very happy with, but I really want to get a pedal to give it a volume boost in case I need it to cut through a little bit more than the standard boost channel live.

I don't want a pedal that colors my tone in any way, shape or form. If a pedal "fattens" or "enhances" the signal, I'm not interested (the Shiva is a fat, compressed amp as it is, any "enhancing" pedal like that will turn the lead channel to mush IMO).

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Keeley Katana. Anybody have any advice for a true clean boost pedal?

2. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

I never owned one, and I don't know if they still make it, but the MXR "Micro Amp" is a great true clean boost pedal. One switch, one knob, all clean boost.

I never bought one because they were about $100 the last time I priced them, and I didn't want to for that kind of dough over for one knob, one switch, and class D amplifier circuit.

3. the_Chris

Wow, I wasn't expecting an MXR pedal to look like it would deliver, but it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for... thanks! :)

4. Badger71

Badger71 Member

I've had the Micro-Amp, a Beano Boost, and have used several different "neutral" ODs to boost a signal. Pretty much anything you use is going to boost/fatten up your tone...even at a neutral setting. Like ODs, your just going to have to try one that you like to get a sound you're comfortable with. The Micro-Amp is a nice, cheap starting point. I sold mine on Ebay for about 60 bucks two years ago.

5. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Is there a reason that a volume pedal in the effects loop is not a good answer? You can get volume pedals with stops that control the two different volumes.

6. hollywood5150

hollywood5150 Member

The Luxury Drive and the RC Boost are both fantastic boost pedal.

7. the_Chris

I considered it, but really I'd rather not mess with the FX Loop on my amp (the last thing I need is more cables run to my amp).

I'm afraid of having a boost pedal completely compress the heck out of the Shiva because it really needs a pedal that is going to be "open" sounding for lack of a better word.

I guess I should start with trying my Pro Analog Dual Drive's clean boost side on the 18v setting (it's on 12v right now)...

Thanks for the replies so far guys :)
    Who would have thought getting a simple volume boost would be such a difficult process?

8. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Try the HBE Uno MOS. I built a very similar device myself and its sound great.

Scott

9. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

BJF Sea Blue EQ. Unfrigginbelievable! Doesn't just let everything through...pounds things through you didn't even hear without it. Just makes everything sound bigger and more open. No compression, no 'coloring', and will tilt your amp into sweet overdrive. I can't imagine a reason to ever turn it off. A little pricey, but the most extraordinary pedal I've ever used. And, BTW, it does a great job in the EQ role as well. Sublime. AC

10. the_Chris

It's funny what a little bit of looking around will do, it looks like I'm going to give this a shot and if it doesn't work, it's back to this thread :)

http://goudiefx.com/prod04.htm

This looks like a sweet pedal and the clips don't lie, there's absolutely no change in tone, it sounds exactly like what I'm looking for!

11. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Good for you chris. a MOSfet boost is definately the way to go for clean boosts.

12. the_Chris

From what I'm hearing, I think you're absolutely right :BEER

13. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

If you're looking at that Goudie, do yourself a favor and check out T.C. Jauernig's website. I think the Luxury Drive will offer exactly what you're looking. If you don't care for it, it's a known pedal and you'd be able to sell it easily.

14. Franklin

Franklin Member

I like the ZVex SHO for my Fender, but you may not like it with the Bogner. A more transparent one I have is the Pharoah Class A Boost.

Most (almost all I think) clean boosts are going to color your tone, maybe an EQ that you can boost the upper and mid freqs and volume would work well for you.

15. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso works fine for me.

Klon Centaur must be pretty good as well, I guess it's built for this and someday I'd really like to try one out.

16. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Fulltone Fat Boost. The "fat" part of the boost can be modified with the drive control. You can get VERY transparent boost with this pedal, as well as an extra measure of eq flexibility.

17. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso. One button, one knob -- 0-35dB clean boost. I've liked it with every amp I've ever tried it with. At $120.00, you can't go wrong. Hope this helps!

18. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Check out the Barber Launch Pad, it is a High headroom clean boost pedal!

19. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

After blowing thru a few "Boutique Pedals" trying to find a good boost for my Guytron A ch. I plugged in my dusty ol' "haven't used in years" Marshall BluesBreaker, to my surprise it was completely transparent with plenty of gain on tap! ......who knew!

20. threm

threm Member

Great post, Clay! :AOK