best clean fender / kemper profile?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jzucker, Feb 27, 2015.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Always curious to see if there's anything out there better than what I have?

I have ampfactory, mbritt and choptones. They are all very good .

What else is out there in the SRV Lenny soundscape?

2. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

Send me an email.. as Ive just finished with "Lenny" tones for a client, they are not part of any of my commercial offerings. but I can tell you how I got there.!. but the bad part is.. it was using more gear than just the kemper! Lenny was recorded with stereo set of room mics and direct mics + 2 amps

But there is a few tricks or two.!

3. jzucker

thanks, i'll pm you. i'm not just interested in "lenny" though. I'm more interested in a big, blooming clean tone. I play jazz and fusion stuff mostly with some jimi/srv thrown in for good measure. One of the issues i find with the majority of fender profiles is that they are profiled with the tone controls too high (for my taste) and this influences the clean sounds due to the topology of fender amps. It's something that you cannot just tweak the tone controls to compensate for because the higher values of the tone controls actually cause more gain throughout that gain stage.

Your profiles are all very good. I haven't noticed your profiles sounding like the tone controls were up too high during profiling. Looking to get the ultimate, clean jazz tone. Maybe a vibroverb through a JBL. I can't remember if your vibroverb was utilizing a JBL cab? I do have your vibroverb profile configured as one of my favorite cleans .

4. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

Yeah I hear great things about Fender amps running through JBL.. Im yet to be convinced myself, I find Fender amps very picky. and cant seem to get a great sound unless running through Jenson speakers... Maybe im just too accustomed to that tone (being that Im a fender guy).. so its a tough one..

I know, but call me crazy.. a lot of Jazz players I know are rolling with EvilRobots these days..(Kemperized modern Magnatone) now, Im not a jazz player, but apparently you guys like the earthy dark woody tone, but retaining the clarity. and that amp does provide.

5. jzucker

not sure about that. Tried the evilrobot profiles and couldn't bond with them. I just like a good, clean fender tone. My favorite jazz guitar sound is george benson from the '60s. Those were recorded with old tube amps (usually fender).

This recording I did is an example of what I'm going for but just want to refine it a little.

6. Don Petersen

Don Petersen Member

instead of using the EQ, have you tried reducing the Definition value in the AMP section?
    That's a very cool and easy way to make a tone more mellow.

7. Jallawalla

Jallawalla Member

I'd be interested to hear more on that lenny tone please.

I've read that srv used marshalls for cleans though I hear 'blackface' on lenny.

Best results I ever had was a plate reverb from my bigsky through my tone king imperial.

My ears aren't the greatest though.

8. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Holy crap1 You are, and no I am not being snarky, a killer player! I wish my hands did that. I am stuck in Zakk Wylde, George Lynch hell!

9. jzucker

Watch the El Macambo video. He was playing through a vibroverb and super reverb and it sounds pretty close to the record.

10. jzucker

Nothing wrong with that! I wish I had some of that under my fingers. I wish there was more time in the day. I need to learn some of that stuff and some of the heavier grunge stuff that's popular today with the 7 string and low tunings!