Best clean pedal platform (low watt)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by handyman11, Apr 27, 2015.

1. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

Have a Mesa 5:25 , and a fender Bassman, both great amps ... would like something a little more compact, one channel, and looking a either a Pro Junior, or a Dr Z Carmen Ghia ....or move a Champ / Champ clone ,,,

Thanks in advance ...

2. TimH

TimH Member

clean and low watt don't really go together as well as even 15 watts and clean...

3. omfg51

omfg51 Member

This is my experience, as well as the general consensus most of the time. What's your application? I'd go for a Fender '65 Princeton reissue.

4. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

The clean channel on my little Peavey Classic 30 loves pedals.

5. K.E.P.

K.E.P. Member

Egnater tweaker 15 on the cheap or a Tyler amps pt14 with fat switch.

6. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

Dr Z M12, great cleans, low watts at 12 and takes pedals incredibly well as all the other Z's do

7. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Supporting Member

Consider a VHT Special 6. It has a low power setting which is great for bedroom jamming, but the full power setting can work with a drummer--depending on whom you ask! ;)

I have the head with a 112 cab. Sounds great, and you can crank it without ever really going into high gain territory.

8. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

Probably best not to think in terms of wattage when it comes to a pedal platform, but rather how good the master volume is.

More watts = more headroom, but you can control the overall loudness using the pedals output volume generally.

I use a 65 (or is it 90?) watt Musicman amp as a cheapo pedal platform, & it does an admirable job at both loud and super-whisper-quiet volumes. I have it set up for recording in the next room & you can't even hear it through the paper thin walls, its set up no louder than medium tv volume (& records immaculately well).

Its not a bad studio-beater amp for $200 :p

9. timmy2tone

timmy2tone Member

Reverend Hellhound, now in production by Cusack Amps. This is exactly what the smp is designed for. Small footprint 1x12 combo. Perfect pedal platform.

10. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

an early 70's Princeton or Princeton Reverb (shh, don't tell anybody!)

11. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

Sounds like you're looking for the Congo Amps Reginald Tweed - perfect 4 watts and clean all the way up until you get just a hint of glassy chime at the top of the gain range. Takes pedals like a pro, do yourself a favor, tone for days. Get this amp and Don't Look Back!

12. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

A Two-Rock Studio Pro 22 1x12 combo would make a mighty fine low wattage clean amp.

13. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

Not sure how you get more compact than the Mesa unless your going into <12" speaker territory - and the Carman Ghia is a 1x12 IIRC. And as noted elsewhere, clean dissapears as you drop the watts - assuming you are playing wih a band. I have a Mesa 5:25 among numerous other amps and it does a great and very loud clean for a 2 x EL84 combo (my Orange AD15 has 2 x el84 and the same Vintage 30 speaker but cannot keep up with it clean. Beats the Mesa hands down for Brit crunch, but that's not what you are looking for)

14. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

Hey Satan is this the one with a 12ax7 and two el84s or the 2 tube 6l6s one .

15. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

16. FFTT

FFTT Member

Reeves Custom 12 with power scaling.
    Allen Amps Chihuahua 14 watter.
    Greis Custom 12 Reverb