Best Clean - Shiva vs. Fuchs (gassing)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by devbro, Dec 9, 2005.

1. devbro

devbro Member

Somebody talk me out of a Fuchs ODS 50 SLX head. I'm gassing big..! I play allot of clean stuff and love my Shiva's clean channel and how responsive it is. I like that its unforgiving and not over compressed. I also like the headroom (I get my dirt from pedals and sometimes the drive channel). How does the ODS 50 compare? :confused:

2. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Listen to Jason Baker I believe his last name is clips. He uses a 335 and a strat. He makes the fuchs totally sing. I think his site is steelbender or something like that. Man I have't owned either, but the fuchs and OD100 are two of the best amps out there IMHO. The fuchs is going to get dirty without all that compression the shiva has when it gets dirty. The shiva is a good amp don't get me wrong. The fuchs is a great amp.

3. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Listen to Jason Baker I believe his last name is clips. He uses a 335 and a strat. He makes the fuchs totally sing. I think his site is steelbender or something like that. Man I have't owned either, but the fuchs and OD100 are two of the best amps out there IMHO. The fuchs is going to get dirty without all that compression the shiva has when it gets dirty. The shiva is a good amp don't get me wrong. The fuchs is a great amp. yes it is steelbender.

4. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Preious owner of Bogner and current owner of a Fuchs ODS/SLX and IMHO the Fuch has more of each of the characteristics you named above and there is NO need for pedals to get killer overdrives. If you want and amp that responds to every nuance of your touch, has killer clean and killer overdrives and sounds better in the mix than just about anything made I think you'll love the Fuchs. Keep in mind that these two amps you are comparing are also quite a bit different tonally as well. Both sound very good but there are different.

5. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

I think you'll find an even better clean from the OD100 or OD50 from Suhr...
    Steve

6. lhallam

lhallam Member

Comparing a Shiva to a Fuchs ods slx is apples to oranges. Sort of like comparing a strat to a les paul. Each has things I like about them.

7. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

Ihallam is right. I have owned both a Shiva 6l6 combo and Fuchs ods 50 head for a couple of years. When I first heard the Shiva cleans, I absolutely had to have the amp. Bright, lively, shimmery, big sound. Haunted me until I picked one up...no dissappointments there ; ) I also love the od. A tad too compressed for my taste but teriffic nonetheless. I will admit to being a pragmatic fan of master volume amps and both the Shiva and Fuchs MV's are great.

The Fuchs however, is a whole 'nother animal. Cleans; warmer, more 3D, more organic sounding. OD; unparalleled if you are looking for that dumblish sound and quite raucous (or is that rockus) if you really push the preamp. Extraordinarily touch sensitive (something that I have found the Shiva to lack) and responsive. Both channels tonally very flexible with the switching and push/pull options. I use an ocd on the clean channel when I want some edge when comping or a grittier solo od sound. The od channel needs absolutely nothing to provide magnificent creamy, singing lines or thick, fuzzy on the edges, bluesy character.

Better yet, get a TDS. It's an ods with a third, totally clean channel with headroom forever. I have one arriving Tues so I can't give an in depth review for a while. Owning several of Andy's products, I have no doubts that it will be stellar!

Bottom line is, I've never considered getting rid of the Shiva just because I have the Fuchs. Each has it's own wonderful sound; the Shiva is more Marshally to my ears (I'm sure others will not agree with that) and the Fuchs is more refined and infinitely smoother. Chocolate or Vanilla...both taste great, just depends on your desires of the moment.

8. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I agree the CAA OD100 has incredible cleans. But better?? Different for sure, but using the word "better" is a bit presumptious. I happen to love the cleans of both these amps and own both. But I would never presume to say one is "better" than the other without at least adding IMHO. As it happens I like them both equally for different applications. If I'm looking for an over the top screaming hot rod amp and have fabulous cleans on hand as well the OD100 is unrivaled period, again IMHO. If I'm looking for mciro-articulation, extreme touch sensitivity and dynamics, a smoking Dumblesque (but better IMHO) overdrive and again have killer cleans on tap the Fuchs ODS/SLX is at the top of the food chain. FWIW..."IMHO"...either of these amps are miles above anything Bogner offers for what I'm looking for. (NOTE the IMHO. Bogner's are great amps if that particular sound and feel is what turns you on.) But I hate compression. In my hands, at least, the Bogner's have always felt comparitively compressed and responsiveless. Some players love compression and prefer an amp that doesn't magnifiy every nuance of their technique. So, it's not really about which is better as much as it's about what your personal style and preferences are.

9. devbro

devbro Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
    I love the Fuchs overdrive sound - no questions there, but I require versatility and the ability to go to shimmering clean on demand. Funny, I've been so ruined by Mesa for so many years that to me, the Shive seemed so responsive and allowing everytning you do to come through. I dont want an amp that covers up mistakes- I want to hear EVERYTHING.

I played a Fuchs by acceident a few years ago before I'd even heard of Fuchs and as I remember, I could get a single note to sustain - clean! I should have bought that amp on the spot.

10. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

Fuchs ODS amps, according to my ears, are very creamy when overdriven. But I don't think they are in the same league as the Shiva when it comes to crunch. Unless you think a Mesa amp has crunch. The Shiva is perfect with a humbucker clad Strat. I am not sure why you guys think the Shiva's overdrive is too compressed, unless you need to turn up the gain to play. No offense, but the Fuchs sounds like a Mesa to me, if Mesa knew what they were doing. No slur against them either, they are great amps. But Shiva would be on the Marshall side, Fuchs ODS on the Mesa side, if you had to align them one way or another.

What I do dig is a cranked Fuchs Blackjack 21 watter ... that things rips ... and crunches. Not really creamy though ...

11. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

My experience with the Shiva was also that its overdrive channel was pretty darn compressed. It's a nice amp for that classic rock sound, though.

I thought Fuchs sounded a hell of a lot less compressed than, say, a Mesa, less compressed than a Shiva, and a Two-Rock a bit less compressed than the Fuchs. I use compressors a lot in the studio, and am very familiar with what a compressor does to sound. The Shiva sounds compressed.

This isn't a criticism; the degree of compression one experiences in an amp is a taste thing, IMHO.

12. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I like the Shivas cleans more than any Dumble or Dumble inspired amp other than the two Rock Emerald Pros. I like the Shivas cleans more than my Fuchs. Fuchs now has the TODS with the Fendery clean channel, AND the clean and overdrive of the "regular" Fuchs ODS. Thats the one I would be looking at! :AOK

13. scottl

scottl Member

Tag,

Shhhhh..... But if you disconnect the local feedback on the preamp in the Fuchs, the cleans will sound like the Emerald Pro. Those amps had no feedback, hence the more open cleans.

14. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

So now you see my ear was right all these years. :dude

15. devbro

devbro Member

Hey Tag,
    Is the Fendery clean you mentioned in the TDS a different circuit than the ODS clean?

Also, TDS aside, are you saying you prefer the non-SLX overdrive and clean to the SLX?

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

interesting,

i thought te Shiva's cleans were really restrictive and compressed compared to my ODS-30. *shrug*

17. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

The Shiva's clean tone did nothing for me either.

18. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

I agree with tag on this, the shiva clean (6l6 reverb version) is better than the fuchs clean. It has more low end and a more classic blackface sound, and better reverb.
    The shiva overdrive is not more compressed than most master volume amps. It does have more highs rolled off than many amps, and a smooth attack. I think that gives some players the impression of being more compressed, but it does not limit the actual dynamic range any more than most amps with an overdrive pre-amp.

19. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

i wonder if speaker choice with the Shiva would have something to do with the lack of OD highs? For me, I love the Shiva's OD but the clean just feels way too clean for me sometimes...I like throwing a delay and OD in front of that channel to make it just a step below the OD.

edit: I have the EL-34 head w/ reverb.

:hiP

20. scottl

scottl Member

Matt,

Have you played a brand new SLX's cleans?? They are totally unlike the older ODS cleans.

We should play sometime.....

Scott