Best clean to mid gain amp for a Les Paul

cg

Gold Supporting Member
Looking for the ideal clean to mid gain amp for a Les Paul. Needs to be under $1900. I have a Divided by 13 RSA 23 that is great for upper mid to higher gain stuff. I prefer cleans with a bit of hair on them.

Ideas? Maybe a BF Deluxe Reverb?

John55

Germino Classic 45. Chewy and thick clean tones, then open it up a bit and that great crunch tone starts to put some hair around the notes. Another great amp is the Goodsell 17, very sweet sounding amp with a voice of it's own.

Rod

Vibrato & String Bender on Overdrive
Gold Supporting Member
BF Deluxes are going to be farty in the bass with an LP...The reissues are ice picky in the highs........Try a Vox AC30 CC!!

El Jefe

I was playing my LP through my '76 deluxe reverb recently, sounded really really good. Turn it up to 10 and use the volume knob on the guitar, just incredible. However, my Dearmond m-77t w/tv jones pu's sounds even better :D

Don't let the "farty in the bass" comment scare you away. That's often a result of a crappy speaker match for the dr. Mine sounded horrible with the original oxford, and sounds huge with a weber 10F150T in it.

lgehrig4

Gold Supporting Member
Germino Classic 45. Chewy and thick clean tones, then open it up a bit and that great crunch tone starts to put some hair around the notes.

+1 You can add to that a Mojave Plexi, Dr Z Route 66 and I'm sure a few other JTM-45 inspired amps.

FloridaSam

A very good local player here plays a real '60 LP thorugh a BF Deluxe Reverb. Some of the best tone I've ever heard. No pedals. I believe he has changed the speaker to a JBL but other than that stock vintage LP and BF Fender. Awesome medium gain blues tone to die for.

BobbyRay

I know most people think of these as Strat amps, but I've never liked my LP or my 335 as much as I do now with a Maz Jr. Go figure.

That's with everything from Fuchs, Two-Rock, Glawerks, Fender Tweed Twin RI, Bad-Cat, Matchless, and even the Maz Sr. The junior just seems to work perfectly for me with my LP. Again, I know that's a little against the grain since most people call 'em Strat amps, but I love my LP more than ever now.

Obviously, just my opinion, YMMV etc.

ROKY

TopHat King Royale
Heritage Colonial

Both can be had used, well under $1900 .

EDIT: I see your in St. Paul .. so definitely add a Savage to that list !

bonchie123

Silver Supporting Member
I think LP's sound dead and farty in Deluxe reverbs, but thats just me. Not delving into 2-3000 dollar boutique amps I'd recommend an AC30. Great medium gain amp with great cleans that work well with humbuckers.

freaksho

i have a Tweed Deluxe home-made kit that loves my stock LP Std. i'm sure the Deluxe Reverb would be killer too. fabulous tones with these little guys, but you obviously won't get much clean out of these at band volumes (unless you're in a very quiet band).

if you're interested in keeping volume under control with an MV for gain tones, don't underestimate the cleans of a 2203 or 2204. at the lowest preamp settings they get stunning cleans that are gritty when you pound your guitar and perfectly clean if you use a soft touch. few people ever mention this. and of course the mid gain tones . . . :drool

Killcrop

If you want something in the area of a DLX try the Heritage Victory. I got that amp for my Strat but I like my Lester through it even better.

Also one to consider is the Cage Corsa. Which is pretty close to an AC30 but hand made, PTP and only $1375 new. My all time favorite amp.

Sharkey

A very good local player here plays a real '60 LP thorugh a BF Deluxe Reverb. Some of the best tone I've ever heard. No pedals. I believe he has changed the speaker to a JBL but other than that stock vintage LP and BF Fender. Awesome medium gain blues tone to die for.

+1:BEER
That's my setup exactly less the 60's LP; I use a
57 Plaintop RI W/DR'V pickups! It's hard to top if you want something small and portable. Speaker selection is critical as is a good sounding BF Deluxe. All BFD's are not created equal in my experience.

In the Marshall vein I'd have to say a Germino Club 40
and a 4X12 cab loaded with Heritage G12M's. I saw Greg G. use this setup in a small/med sized club and it was right up there with the best LP tone I've ever heard period. Strait in (no pedals). It was righteous I tell ya!!!:AOK

soldano16

Believe it or not, a Soldano with the preamp turned down makes for a very happening clean with hair to medium gain amp.

My Atomic 16 sounds MUCH MUCH bigger than any BFDR yet is smaller and lighter. The presence adjustment on the amp is really effective for dialing in the dynamics of the amp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom