• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best clean tone you've ever heard?

danzig

Live, recorded, whatever.

I saw Leonard Cohen live a few weeks ago and his guitarist (not sure of his name) got a truly gorgeous clean tone from his Tele.

Interested to hear what other people rate as awesome clean tones.

guitarist58

I mis-read the post--I was thinking what was the best clean tone I'd ever had.

So answering my mis-read :)D), it was my Strat with Kinman Woodstocks > Fender TBP-1 preamp (basically a Fender Showman preamp) > Rocktron Intellifex > Peavey 50/50 stereo power amp (EL84s) > two cabs (2x12 Avatar with Eminence RW&Bs on one side, "detuned" Vox Baby Beatle 4x12 repro cab on the other side--with a Greenback and a Weber 1265c for the upper two speakers, the bottom two speaker holes left empty)

Dave Orban

Platinum Supporting Member
The cleans on Ronnie Earl's "Blues Guitar Virtuoso Live in Europe" CD are great, IMO.

Pretty sure that's just a Strat straight into a rented Twin Reverb.

Derelict

well, the loudest, cleanest, most tweakable clean i have ever heard is a peavey nashville 1000. 300 watts into a single 15", with a midrange amount and freq knobs, it can sound very fendery or very voxy. REDICULOUSLY loud and clean.

Terry Hayes

Vince Gill. This was at an outdoor concert. He was playing his Rivera R100s at the time. Both his Strat and Tele sounded incredible with this beautiful bell-like clean tone. The sound was crystal clear, but with so much body and warmth.

Terry

JPF

James Calvin Wilsey's playing on Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" album does it for me, as does Mark Knopfler's first few albums with Dire Straits, even though there's some compression going on... Also, honourable mention to the guys playing on the Drive-By Truckers albums - there are some great licks by Cooley, Hood and Isbell, "Decoration Day" being my favourite.

waxnsteel

Best I've had lately was a Goldtop LP reissue w/ P90s through a Dr. Z EZG 50 into a Mesa Recto 4x12. Phenomenal combination.

Best I've hear, might be whoever played on Jonathat Brooke's Blood From a Stone on the Live version, and Tim Pierce on Toy Matinee's Last Plane out - the recorded version.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
I have yet to hear any cleans better than my old '64 Strat into a Komet 60 equipped with a pair of RCA 6L6GC blackplates...breathtaking ;).

GenoBluzGtr

Platinum Supporting Member
Eric Clapton, two songs-same album....

"Blow Wind Blow" and "Floating Bridge" from the ANOTHER TICKET Album.

waxnsteel

Well, there are thousands but this popped into my head first....Ship of Fools by Robert Plant. Not sure who the guitar player is but I think thats a great clean tone.
Robbie Blunt. Very recognizable and cool tone. He played with Plant on like four albums, and I know he did the guitar work on Julian Lennon's Vallotte. He also played on Edie Brickell's record, but I don't think he was the guy for What I Am.

Trending Topics