Best clean tone you've ever heard?

shredtrash

Silver Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Depends on what you're going for I guess. I like the cleans of Marty Stuart, Mark Knopfler, Def Leppard, etc. All of them are VERY different and have different applications so there you go.

mdog114

My buddy had a dual showman and a double 15 cab with those JBL aluminum dust cap model speakers, maybe D130 or something like that, in high school. Playing a clean Strat through that amp cranked was a sound I’ve yet to hear again.

Simply glorious!

stratpaulguy86

Silver Supporting Member
Keith Urban doing "'Til Summer Comes Around" on some country awards show. It was hands down one of the best tones I've ever heard. Dropped my jaw because of how much better he sounded than everyone else on the show. Then Tim McGraw came out and did his hokey "Southern Voice" song. I actually felt bad for him and I swear it seemed like he was upset he had to follow Keith after that performance.
Hiwatt baby! Such a killer sound, totally Gilmour but Keith makes it his own somehow.

RayBarbeeMusic

Silver Supporting Member
Lots of different clean tones out there that are great. If I had to pick, for strat type sounds, Wayne Krantz' tone on Long to Be Loose. For humbuckers, probably Pat Metheny's tone on his first Metheny group record. Honorable mention to Lee Ritenour's tone when he was in his Wes Montgomery phase, and to George Benson.

dankayaker

Well, there are thousands but this popped into my head first....Ship of Fools by Robert Plant. Not sure who the guitar player is but I think thats a great clean tone.
I think that was Robbie Blunt . . Strat into a Fender of some kind.

DJ_61

Silver Supporting Member
Thank you all for these great examples.They make me wonder though how to define 'clean' because many strat examples (Clapton, Hendrikx, Mayer, Earl) do not sound 'clean' at all to my ears but slightly overdriven; at the edge of breakup, where strats shine IMHO.

Clifford-D

Big 1+ for Steve Kimock's wonderful clean tone. It was Steve's ears that guided Bill Krinard's genius back when Two Rock was just beginning. Two Rock has a signature Kimock amp model.
Clean tone doesn't get any better than tgp's buddy Steve Kimock,

jlectka

Silver Supporting Member
One that I remember well is a guy in a three piece band in a Florida bar playing a strat through a Fender Super Reverb with just a Boss Blues Driver. Still the best Strat sound I’ve ever heard live.

DownByLaw

Live, recorded, whatever.

I saw Leonard Cohen live a few weeks ago and his guitarist (not sure of his name) got a truly gorgeous clean tone from his Tele.

Interested to hear what other people rate as awesome clean tones.
Best clean tone was Caesar Diaz demonstrating one of his amps at a NY guitar show. Such a nice guy. (and I should have bought it!)

Patrick

Clifford-D

The best clean tone I currently own is my Boss Katana 50. Beautiful lush with "sparkle warmth". I just made up that term. But it does just that, never harsh, never mushy, and the variety of clean sounds is very impressive, I favor dialing in something like a Deluxe on clean steroids.
Nice clean jazz tone
Ambient

Trending Topics