1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Best compression

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nwa, Jan 19, 2008.

1. nwa

nwa Member

Need advice and opinions. Buying a custom CAE system, so getting all the right gear in order. I need a beautiful compressor for guitar. Mono is ok. I'm assuming that it will be a rack piece, but I'm open to ideas. Thanks.

2. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I'm not hip on the racks but I really like:
    • Barber Tone Press
    • Analogman Bi-Comp
    • Keeley Comp

3. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

barber tone press
    boss cs-3

4. nwa

nwa Member

Never mind. I'll withdraw the question. I was looking for ideas on the best compressor for guitar. If the responses are going to range from a $60 Boss pedal to one of Sweetwater's $6000 recording compressors, then it's not going to do me much good, eh?

:horse

I just went out and bought an Empirical Labs [SIZE=-1]Distressor. The price was under $1300, and it sounded the best of the others that I tested. If anyone is tossing around a similar notion, the sound is beautiful. Nice that it's only one rack space. Bob Bradshaw suggested that I might like this piece, and he was right.

[/SIZE]

5. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

The EL Distressor is a nice opto comp. You can use it on vocals as well if you just use a touch of it.

Personally I was just going to suggest a Demeter opto Compulator :D

-ZP