Best Compressor/Compression Pedal between $49-$199?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SinglecutGuy, Feb 3, 2012.

1. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

I'm starting to think I have a need for one, but I don't know what to get, or have the luxury of trying a bunch out.

I trust you guys. What should I get and why? I have a mixture of PRS and Fender guitars.

2. teleclem

teleclem Member

What kind of comp sounds are you going for?

Two of the most talked about comps here are in thay price range (fgc and diamond). I'd reckon the Empress can be had for 200 used. That's what I use and it's great.

3. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

The Diamond Compressor is what I've been relying on for more than 3 years now. At minimal settings, it adds a nice bit of sustain and balance to my playing... and really just makes everything sound better. I rarely turn it off. You can crank it up for serious sustain if that's what you're after, but it doesn't take over your signal in a squishy way — which is awesome. Also has a handy tilt EQ (with serious range) for times when you want to adjust your tonal focus on-the-fly and it's not noisy at all.

Some time back, I compared it to the FGC head-to-head because I was curious and came away loving the Diamond more than ever. The MP is obviously more versatile, but for what I want out of a compressor... the Diamond is just perfect.

4. SteveV60

SteveV60 Member

Diamond is a mainstay a lot of the others are just fads.

5. duderanimous

duderanimous Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire Silver Supporting Member

Diamond Comp all the way

6. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

Is it the yellow Diamond? A friend of mine has one...he doesn't use it much anymore. Maybe I should buy it?

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Whirlwind red box, 115 new and sounds almost identical to the mxr dynacomp 76 ri if you want something with a little more flavor.

8. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

Yep red box all the way

9. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

Wampler ego comp is my current fave.

10. npfrs

npfrs Member

11. Phillip_H

Phillip_H Supporting Member

I've tried a lot of compressors, and the Diamond is the only one that has lasted more than a week. I've had it about 6 months and I don't see it going anywhere. I love it for its subtle compression and tone shaping. I also love how it sounds as a slight boost. I leave it on almost all the time.

12. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Mirage comp if you like a compressor that's not obnoxious.

13. geodr

geodr Member

Prefrred Mad Professor Forest Green Comp to Diamond, but RAF Mirage very good also

14. lv

lv Supporting Member

Another good one!

15. Rage

Rage Supporting Member

Yep yellow. Buy it. You would love what it'll do to your tone. :aok

16. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I preferred the Mirage to the Diamond which I used to own. The Barber Tone Press is really nice too, fwiw.

17. mickeymayhem

mickeymayhem Member

Barber Tone press - turn the trim pot to Hi-Fi and you will never look back.

18. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

Love my Diamond comp...and use it regularly on my electric and acoustic pedalboards. I always feel the need to tell people what a winner this pedal is....
    Barnzy

19. cas29

cas29 Member

I love my philosophers tone. Its not as honky as other comps, but it warms up the tone and is really good with all overdrives. Really quite a soaring solo tone....if thats what someone wants. Really a killer solo tone with a les paul and an overdrive as well.

I think I'll try the diamond for a standard comp sound since so many like it. But Im def keeping the Philo-tone.

20. AndrewC

AndrewC Supporting Member

I've been through loads of compressors but the standout for me was the Barber Tone Press. Definitely a keeper.