Best Compressor for Acoustic Guitar?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitargypsy, Apr 4, 2008.

1. guitargypsy

guitargypsy Member

I play a couple of nice Gibson acoustics live in my set and inevitably when I go from heavy strumming to single note leads there is a significant drop in volume. So I'm going to get a compressor to help with this.

I had a two-knob Keeley but it colored the sound by cutting some of the high mids and highs it seems. Any other suggestions for a really transparent compressor that I can just leave on?

Thanks,

-Chris

2. Seegs

Seegs Member

I like the Okko Fx. Coca Comp...BJF Pine/Pale Green Comp. and the Telenordía compressor...all are great with acoustics...

Chow,
    Seegs

3. cameron

cameron Member

The BBE Opto Stomp is an excellent an affordable compressor for acoustic (works great for bass too).

4. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Using a comp and leaving it on won't really fix that problem. Especially if you're playing with another player. You have to kick on something to boost the level. If it's a comp, it's a comp. But a comp really can't fix that and make you audible playing single note lines after you'd been ham-fisting it.

5. geetarman

geetarman Member

The Tone Press works great for this application largely due to the blend knob allowing the acoustic character to come through more.

6. karlo

karlo Member

+1 on the Tone Press. Mine is on all the time with my Breedlove acoustic & mandolin.

7. Brownface

Brownface Member

I use the TP also. It's the one comp I've used that doesn't get brittle. Really warms it up.

8. Canon

Canon Supporting Member

If you have the room, I,ve read the FMR does a great job, stereo, 1/4 or xlr in/out.
    For a simpler setup, tone press. Keeley lops off too much high and low, I always prefer straight to the board and add fx later.

9. Analog Assassin

Analog Assassin Senior Member

Well, if you set it right, the comp will limit the "ham-fisting" part and bring up the single-note lines a bit.
    I use a homemade ross comp. Maybe it's the parts I used, but unlike the keeley, it's just as bright as bypassed. Sounds great.
    I built it for my electric rig, but I found that it does wonderful things for acoustic. It does seem to make the skinny strings sound better. Way better sustain.

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've got an FMR RNC and I don't care for it with my guitar running directly through it...I use it in the fx. loop of my AER and mixer which is where it sounds best to me...

I prefer pedal compressors if the guitar is running directly through them...

Chow,
    Seegs

11. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

If course it will even things out a bit, but it will not make the single notes audible if someone else is playing. Another thing, most acoustic guitar amplification systems don't have much dynamic range as it is.

12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The RNC is not meant for direct use with instrument level and impedance. When setup in the loop or through a mixing board it will sound MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH better than ANY pedal comp. The RNC is a studio quality compressor.

13. guitargypsy

guitargypsy Member

what would you all recommend; boost my leads with a boost pedal or squash my rhythm playing with a compressor?

14. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've used it in this capacity and I wouldn't describe it as Muuuuuuuch better...I prefer what the pedal compressors I mentioned earlier in the thread do to my acoustic tone...ymmv!

Chow,
    Seegs

15. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Hi,
    I'm reading this with some interest. Haven't really fallen in love with compressors for electric playing. But I suppose a compressor could really soften up the tone of my "under saddle transducer"-pickup in my Martin. Take away some of the brittle, harsh high end, right? /C

16. Seegs

Seegs Member

You bet Carl...that's exactly what an Okko Fx. Coca Comp. or BJF PGC will do...you lose the brittleness and round out and warm up and fattens the tone...funny enough I also find that a Klon also works well for this purpose...

Chow,
    Seegs

17. brianf

brianf Member

I have the T Rex Comp Nova and barber Tone Press. Both work equally well with my 614CE.

brianf

18. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Thanks, I'll experiment more. Have a TonePress here, thinking I should get some sort of preamp as well, like a LR Baggs Para DI. My acoustic is a Martin D-15 with a B-band UST-system, sounds good - but a little too brittle to be all natural.

/C

19. Den

Den Member

Agreed ... I'm always looking to preserve dynamics as much as possible with my acoustics. I never liked what compression does to amplified acoustic tone. I prefer some sort of a boost for leads ... and there's a lot of options there. I've used my TIM pedal, Barber Burn EQ set up with almost no gain, etc. You could use an eq pedal ... there are lot of possibilities to get a lead to step out.