Best Compressor for Rock

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gibson60, Jun 13, 2008.

1. gibson60

gibson60 Member

I've been reading a bunch of threads on compressors but wanted some more specific information...
    What is the best compressor for rock/blues? The intended function of the compressor would be to smooth out my tone. Sustain is not an issue. I am using an LP with PAF replicas. Right now the 2 main contenders are the Retro Sonic compressor or the Analogman Mini Bi-Comp.
    Should I even bother with a compressor?

Thanks for your help

2. auratnik

auratnik Supporting Member

Don't bother with compressor, there are other ways to smooth out your tone...
    I would go with AYA R Compressor.

3. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

T-Rex comp nova is cool,

4. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

I would recommend a compressor if you are playing your LP without any overdrive or gain. If you are using even a little, the compressor probably will be more of a hindrance than a help with an LP. The right kind of compressor can work wonders for a clean LP sound though.

I would recommend a different option from the machines you're looking at. I am a big fan of the Analogman, and, although I have not used a Retro Sonic, I am familiar with that type of compressor. They are excellent for single coils, but for an LP, your best option for a pedal compressor is one that has a variable threshold and ratio, especially if you're not looking for sustain. The best way to set it up is as a limiter that compresses only the loudest parts of your signal.

My recommendation would be a Maxon CP9+ Pro. I have one of these on my board along with the Analogman BiComp, for exactly this reason. The CP-9+ Pro works perfectly for humbuckers and the Analogman works perfectly for single coils, but they are set up quite differently.

5. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

BEST...what a word...
    :banana

6. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

I would agree......this is an unbelievable compressor that doesnt color tone at all......you could actually just leave it on.

7. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I don't understand 'smooth out tone'.

8. AC30LP

AC30LP Member

I don't find a compressor to be a necessary pedal for blues or rock....especially blues.

9. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

10. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I recently hooked my Toadworks Mr. Squishy (old large housing) compressor in front of a Distortion Pro and OCD. I had never really bonded with Mr. Squishy, but tried it out as a lead boost. It did the volume boost and provided some good compression to smooth out the dynamics and also offered a tone control for a bit more flexibility. I was pleasantly surprised and actually preferred it to my Fat Boost for this type of application. Oh, this is all with a Strat though, into a Reeves Custom 6 combo.

11. DC1

DC1 Member

I would go for a Barber Tone Press. Works for rock, blues, even the heavy stuff. Huge sound.

DC

12. markezgotez

markezgotez Member

i've had a lot of success with the carl martin compressor... i know a lot of people who use that pedal as well. a very smooth sounding compressor but you can also get it quite squishy too, if you need it... you should check that out

13. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Member

+ 1.

It's the inbuilt ( blendable ) clean boost and clarity that does it for me. Compresses just the amount you want relative and parallel to the clean signal - then gives the signal a nice 'push' on it's way. The setting shown in the manual called ' Magic dust for single coils' is just that ...