Best compressor for tapping (shred, high gain rock) AND bluesy stuff

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ScrewYou, Sep 24, 2008.

1. ScrewYou

ScrewYou Member

Looking for a good compressor that will even out the dynamics of tapping with a good amount of gain. Trying to play a lot of the Guthrie Govan style taps, but I'm finding the taps on bass strings are a bit too boomy and the taps on the higher strings don't have enough volume, no matter how hard I hit the string with my finger. I'm looking for something that is transparent and not a pain to dial in. Also, something that will accentuate the Brent Mason type riffs...Thanks

2. Trego

Trego Member

I too would be interested...played some tapping stuff at practice, and want to play clean, but only my overdrive keeps me at an audible volume level.

3. scroff

scroff Member

Try the atom smasher.(boss cs-3 modded by Humphrey audio) Killer. And you can have one for a reasonable price.

4. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

sounds like you want a ross clone. An optical might not give you the sustain you want.

I'd recommend the keeley or byoc.

5. ScrewYou

ScrewYou Member

Yeah I've heard the Keeley 4 knob is great, but I don't want to pay that much for compression...

6. Brantleycoker

Brantleycoker Member

i have a keeley 2 knob and it is PERFECT for tapping thats all use it for, its extremely transparent and fixes your volume problem and leaves your tone alone, im a huge fan

7. ScrewYou

ScrewYou Member

Awesome. Yeah, I'm not sure really what the diff is between the two...I'll have to try 'em out.

8. Merelington

Merelington Member

I'm using a Diamond Compressor for that very reason..except for a clean sound. It's transparent, silent, very well built & clean and does the job well. Also, if it helps at all, I find that my strat doesn't have as much "boom" on the lower strings but still retains the highs...my Les Paul on the other hand isn't as even sounding when tapping.

9. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Maxon CP-01. I use for tapping on a baritone gtr

10. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yeah the Maxon CP101 is a great "Ross style" comp, pretty transparent and a lower compression ratio. And it's not real expensive. It's on my home pedal board and I still love it...

But, my BYOC Ross is stellar. I actually like it better than the 4 knob Keeley I borrowed a few weeks ago. My BYOC is more "organic" sounding, little more lo fi. The cool thing about my BYOC is that it has two extremes. Can be extremely subtle and barely on and then it can be extremely squashed... IMO this is REALLY COOL!

The simple 2 knob BYOC Ross doesn't seem to be available now... maybe he'll sell it if you email him. Have you ever modded or built pedals before?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  11. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

I know a guy that sells 5 knob BYOC Ross circuit compressors that are apparently much better than the Keeley one's. Only half the price at that!

12. Trego

Trego Member

I think I will check out a BYOC Ross Clone next...I just built a Fuzz Face and an got an 808 clone next.

Thanks for the information!

13. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Can't recommend a Keely 3-knob...excellent compression but way too much noise going into a gain channel and the by-pass colors the tone.
    I'm sure it works very well in a clean channel.
    Fortunately, I bought it used and was able to re-sell for more.

I've got a Retro-Sonic on order...hoping the results are much better.

14. retrokid

retrokid Member

I have used a Keeley 4-knob compressor. It works great.
    However, if you don't want to get the 4-knob version, you can either get the 2-knob one, or just get a Diamond compressor.

Although the Diamond isn't cheap either...

15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Just FYI, all compressors will be noisy going into a gain channel.