Best Cream-era Clapton drive pedal?

I'm sure this has been done a million times before, but what drive pedals do you think come closest to getting a warm, heavy yet articulate Clapton sound ie "Stepping Out"? I've been using the Xotic SL Drive, the BB Preamp MB and the BOSS OS-2. The SL Drive has too much of a "honk" and the BB Preamp lacks the gain and fuzziness I hear. The OS-2 comes the closest when it's paired with a boost pedal, but I'm wondering what else might do the trick.

The MXR FET driver looks the most appealing to me. Any other contenders?

Basically some sort of Marshall JTM/Superlead in a box pedal (you don't want a crunchy JCM 800 style MIAB pedal for this) into a LOUD clean amp. He played stupid loud in his Cream days. Sheer volume had to be part of that tone, sometimes there's no substitute for an amp & speakers pushing tons of air.

I'm starting to get that impression. No matter what pedals I use, I've noticed that it never quite gets that robust "boom" of his sound without a good amount of volume behind it. Also, I've noticed it doesn't sound right without reverb.

Crimson Queen

Silver Supporting Member
That's my main contender right now. Trying to see if there's a difference between the standard or Joe Bonamassa model.
I have compared the two. The circuits may be the same, I don't know, but they have slightly different components. The JB has some full sized compenents where the MXR has SMD stuff. They sound really close, but the JB has a little more grain to the sound, you know? For what it's worth, I also have a Dover Drive and the Fet Driver is where it's at for the early Clapton thing for me.

BluesDriver

That's my main contender right now. Trying to see if there's a difference between the standard or Joe Bonamassa model.

I've had the standard model for a while and I dig it with my strat as it beefs up my tone. I'm on the lookout for a Bonamassa one now. They came out before the standard one and supposedly the Bonamassa's are also hand wired with said different components hince the Custom Shop logo and higher price(and a free T-Shirt for a short while). Sound wise I think they're nearly the same.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I've never played one - but could the Keeley 1962X not do what you're looking for?

Memphistokid

I use my Plexidrive deluxe for a similar tone (Steppin Out from Mayall w/Clapton). I can get close at times with the Wampler but Keeleys 1962x is very intriguing....

Excellent suggestions. I have to say that the Cream sound I hear is fuzzier, and has something special going on with the low end whereas some of these Marshall pedals seem to focus more on the honking side of the Marshall sound.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom