Best current Prod. 12AX7 Opinions..

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by twangoloco, Dec 14, 2005.

1. twangoloco

twangoloco Guest

I'm sure this has been discussed before but as of Taday! what would you use? I have heard great things about these new Tung Sol's. What say you?:AOK

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Waiting on the Tung sols to be delivered so the verdicts out. I disliked JJ's- UNTIL I tried the JJ ECC803s(long plate). Its my favorite current production tube for now. Chinese are nice and Sovtek LPS too. Of coarse it depends on the amp too. The Ei's in my JSX sounded super trebly but I put them in an older PV and they sounded great.

3. SLG

SLG Member

The NEW Tung-Sols are very good. I bought some last week from Lord Valve. I wasn't too keen on the tubes being labeled with the "Tung-Sol" moniker, but I have to admit, these tubes live up to the name. Hopefully, they are just as durable, but only time will tell.

4. jetlag

jetlag Member

+1 for the tung sols. So far great tone and reliability.

5. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I have to admit that I don't find a big difference in tone between different small signal tubes of the same value. That is unless they are completely out of spec or microphonic, of course. I think the newest tube in my main amplifier is 20 years old with the balance being pre 1970 and it sounds fine to me. I guess this is a YMMV thing. I believe that circuits have characteristic tonal qualities but the brand of the active component should be secondary to this.

DJ

6. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

As an unabashed NOS tube fan I must admit that I like the JJ ECC803S and the new TungSol 12AX7 quite a bit. The JJ's remind me a lot of Telefunkens and the Tungsol's of RFT's and Mullards. Not quite the refinement openess and definition of the NOS versions but pretty damn nice and a more than a little easier on the wallet. Worth trying!

7. twangoloco

twangoloco Guest

Cool! What's the rule of thumb on plate length? more is better? Or is it a different composition?

8. Shea

Shea Member

I've found a few new-manufacture tubes that I like the tone of just fine, but it's pretty damn hard to find any that have as low noise and low microphonics as a good ol' RCA 7025. And that's what I need for use in combos. Anyone else have the same problem? Anyone found a new-make tube that fits the bill?

Shea

9. twangoloco

twangoloco Guest

... on The Tube Store's 12AX7 shootout/review that the 12AX7EH's were pretty good for noise. How would you compare those to the 7025's. Oh, and what WOULD be a great low-noise 12AX7 mini-tube that IS on par w/ 7025's if EH's aren't that great? Thanx!

10. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

Ruby 7025SS HG here. Exceptional, but pricey at $25 per. Of course that's for a 1-in-200-pick for noise/microphonics with a 6 month warranty.

Cool tube with short nickle plates and I've never seen a failure! The two sides are very well matched. High Gm and lot's of voltage gain. Very transparent.

There is a 12AX7B by another source that is visually identical, but Gm numbers are way off for the two sides and innards are a bit crooked in bottle. Not a bad tube on a budget.

Have the ECC803 but found it little different forn the ECC83S, which is not a bad tube at all, (if you like it a shade dark...)

Will be interested to see how the Reflektor/EH fight pans out, though I don't trust anythintg from Reflektor/EH/Sovtek- any of the mis-branded tubes from New Sensor...

-Jon

11. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

So far - I like all the new Electro-Harmonix tubes - Especially the 12AX7s

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

No issues here. I use mostly heads though with good tune retainers. The one combo I still own is a PV Ultra 112. Smart thing with that amp is the pre amp tubes are hiding behind a metal cover inside the chassis. The cover has foam on it so they seem to be well protected against vibration. Ive been running a set of Ei's (yep Ei's ) no problems. Are your tubes protected from vibrations?

13. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The new Tung Sol Reissues have been very consistent and very well received.

My new favorite, new production, 12AX7.

14. Shea

Shea Member

Nope. I'm talking about tubes I need for a couple of Twin Reverbs and a clone of a tweed Twin. I put an EI 12AX7 in the tweed yesterday, and it fed back like crazy as soon as I took the amp off standby. I had been using a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in there, which was tolerable, but not as good as it should be. Finally I found some tube that has all the lettering worn off, but appears to have the same plates as an RCA 7025, and lo and behold - it works perfectly, with no noise or microphonics, and it sounds great too.

And that's basically how it keeps turning out whenever I sort out the best preamp tube for the first gain stage in any of my amps - it always turns out to be an old RCA 7025, if I have one handy. But I don't have enough for all my amps, and the ones I have aren't going to last forever. I like how the JJs and Sovtek LPSs sound, but they don't measure up in terms low microphonics and longevity.

Maybe I'll have to try that Ruby 7025. Or I might just pony up for the RCAs, but I try to use newly manufactured tubes whenever possible because I don't want to be dependent on the dwindling supply of NOS tubes just to keep my amps running.

Shea

15. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Try a Tung Sol Reissue. These have the most consistent gain and low microphonics I've seen in ANY new production 12AX7.

16. rockon1

rockon1 Member

V-1 isusually most sensitive to microphonics.Tubes that are unaccepatable due to microphonics in the V-1 can usually be used in other positions. Ei's have the worst rep for being microphonic.Thankfully I rarely have issues with pre amp tubes other than disliking there tone.One of these days Ill try some NOS. I just dont know which ones are "the good ones".