Best Current Production 6L6

motis1953

Getting ready to buy a couple sets of 6L6 power tubes to be used in a Carr Rambler, Bruno Cowtipper 45, and a Gries 35. Used to love the Winged C's but they are out of my price range even if I could find some. Looking at TAD6L6WGC's, Tung-Sol 7581A's, Sovtek 6L6WXT+, and Ruby 6L6GCMS. I know there's already a bunch of threads on this subject but a lot of them are pretty old. I need clean headroom (get my dirt from pedals) and sturdy construction as my stuff gets a fair amount of bouncing around in my trunk and has to take the South Florida heat. Anybody have any input on this subject?

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
It will probably come down to personal preference, but the TAD 6L6WGC's have been solid performers for tone, reliability and popularity.
Pretty much this. I use 6L6WGC-STRs in my Super Reverb. They work great, never had an issue.

rummy

I used love those Winged C SED ones. I guess they don't make em any more.

EADGBE

The Chinese tubes sound good. But it seems when they go bad they blow fuses.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
The Chinese tubes sound good. But it seems when they go bad they blow fuses.
Your fuse should blow when any power tube shorts. I've had NOS GE 6L6GC's short.

The Chinese power tubes I've used usually don't last very long.

motis1953

My amp tech likes the Sovtek 6L6GCWXT+ tubes for their build quality. He doesn't like amps to come back to the shop after he sends them home.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I just had my Verbrovibe worked on my Wayne at Headstrong and when it came back it arrived with a new set of TAD 6L6WGC's. Great sounding 6L6's.

ianblond

TAD 6L6WGC - juicy , the best
TAD6L6GC Rca style - a bit less refined , still good
JJ6L6 - simple , bold , unrefined sound
Tung Sol 6L6 STR - clean , maybe too clean in the midrange
Sovtek's - no !
Doug form Doug's Tubes has recommended me new Ruby 6L6BSTR , I haven't tested Tung Sol 7581A yet

motis1953

Tried a couple sets of the TAD's and liked the sound just fine but just had one flame out after 6 months. The first set didn't last much longer. I've just ordered the Sovtek 6L6GCWXT+'s and will give them a whirl. Apparently the EH6L6's are the same tube as the Sovteks. (Earlier I'd posted the EH were the same as the TAD, sorry for the confusion).

Last edited:

No457 Snowy

Apparently the EH6L6's are the same tube as the TAD's.
That's good to know because I have been very happy with the EH6L6, run hard for the last 2 years. Nice price and solid performance but noticed they were not mentioned in this thread, so I started to wonder what tube they actually were, or related to.

bbarnard

I've been running TADs in my Vintage Sound, but it doesn't have a lot of playing time on it. I know my friend Tmac doesn't really care for them, but so far they've been fine. Is that the same Gries 35 I sold you?

dsmc80

Tried a couple sets of the TAD's and liked the sound just fine but just had one flame out after 6 months. The first set didn't last much longer. I've just ordered the Sovtek 6L6GCWXT+'s and will give them a whirl. Apparently the EH6L6's are the same tube as the TAD's.
That's good to know because I have been very happy with the EH6L6, run hard for the last 2 years. Nice price and solid performance but noticed they were not mentioned in this thread, so I started to wonder what tube they actually were, or related to.
Not all TAD tubes are EHs at all. In fact I've seen more that are out of the Shuguang plant.

motis1953

I've been running TADs in my Vintage Sound, but it doesn't have a lot of playing time on it. I know my friend Tmac doesn't really care for them, but so far they've been fine. Is that the same Gries 35 I sold you?
Actually Bill, it's a different Gries 35. I had to sell the one I got a few years back when I got broke but just got another. Has a different speaker in it though, might go for another Tonker.

motis1953

I actually meant to say that the EH were the same as the Sovteks. My bad.

dsmc80

From what I've been led to believe, the TAD's are made at the Shugang plant. The EH tubes and Tung Sols are owned by Mike Mathews of Electro-Harmonix and are manufactured at the same Reflektor plant as the Sovteks. Maybe one of our resident experts can chime in as I got my info from the interwebs which are known for spreading nonsense.
That could very well be. I was responding to the posts above me who cited that TADs were EH made tubes.

Trending Topics