Best current production replacement 6L6GC??

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by danjcarroll, Jan 21, 2008.

1. danjcarroll

danjcarroll Member

Hey everyone

Just wondering what everyones opinions are on the best current production replacement 6L6GC matched pair??

Dont forget to include why you consider them the 'best' (value, consistency, tone??) and any specific performance details (tonal characteristics etc).

Thanks very much

2. burner

burner Member

So far the JJ 6L6 is the best I've tried.
    They sound better than any of the Russian made tubes, IMO, they sound more "alive" like the old Sylvanias or RCAs that I used to use in my old Fenders.
    The Russian offerings sound bland by comparison.

3. Dave

Dave Member

I like the winged C 6L6GC. Nice round tone, solid low end, sparkling high end without being harsh and it transitions smoothly from clean to distorted.

4. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

TAD's are nice and I haven't had any problems with them yet.Great sounding too.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    SEDs. In 1000s sold, they're the most reliable of any of the new 6L6 offerings. Fewest returns (I can't remember the last time), highest customer satisfaction for tone.

6. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

SEDs (Winged "C")
    Tung Sols
    TADs

7. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I'm using the new Tung Sol 6L6GC STR's in my amps. I have used JJ's, SED's, Svetlana's, SovTek and Phillips 6L6GWB's and like the Tung Sols over all of them. They have a nice warm, woody tone with more transparentcy than the current stuff. To my ears they're kind of a cross between an old GE and RCA.