Best Dark/Fat Bridge pup for a McCarty?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TimH, Aug 14, 2008.

1. TimH

TimH Member

So this McCarty is going to be my 3rd guitar and I'm looking for it to fill a dark/fat tone in my arsenal. Admittedly I haven't played the axe yet (picking it up tonight) so the axe has something to do with this. But in general, what pickups would you suggest if someone is going for that typically fat/dark tone like Beano, Joe Bonamassa or Duane Allman w/o the slide.

2. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

There's a post on Birds and Moons about what to do to keep a McCarty from sounding so fat, so maybe you'll be fine as-is! :D

-Austin

3. TimH

TimH Member

maybe so but still...lots of people change the pups in these

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

The McCarty bridge pup is really great sounding. Very Big Tone! The neck pup is a bit muddy but a COT or a Sex Drive pedal works great to give it a nice sparkle. Congrats, McCarty's are fun guitars.

5. Cdn Cracker

Cdn Cracker Member

Sounds great with your old Tim....into a Maz Jr.

I will admit that I've been contemplating swapping everything out with some Lollars or WCRs (probably the Filmores or Darkbursts)...

6. mockoman

mockoman Member

The Fralin 9k bridge pu is very FAT.

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    You'll have to check the guitar out with stock pickups first, but the WCR Fillmore is certainly darkish and fat.

Of course, Duane used stock PAFs which are low output and bright. Word has it that he actually USED his tone control (SHOCKING!) to roll of highs;)

8. ahab

ahab Member

The McCarty was my only (read number #1) guitar for many years. I liked the stock pickups in that guitar. However, I once owned a Ce24 standard, which I replaced the pickups with Duncan Seth Lovers and the guitar sounded fantastic.