Best Dark Strat Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by desceneisvals, Jul 15, 2008.

1. desceneisvals

desceneisvals Supporting Member

Looking to buy a set of pickups for my 62' RI Strat. Looking for something a little darker and beefier than your standard Strat. SRV's tone comes to mind. Want them to sound great clean and sound good with some overdrive.

Would be looking for something a little overwound, but Curtis Novak has me interested in his Strat set saying it doesn't have to be overwound to sound good. I got looking at his stuff when I had a Jazzmaster, and his outlook on tone has always had me wanting a set of his pickups. I could call and talk to him, but looking for some input before I commit myself.

Any input on his Strat pickups or anything else that might fit what I'm looking for.

Thanks guys.

2. DIXØN

DIXØN Member

You could get a set of decent single coil sized 'buckers to put in there, Fender and Seymore Duncan have some nice ones available.

3. JumpMarine

JumpMarine Supporting Member

If you can find them, Chubtone El Gordo/'63 set.

4. desceneisvals

I don't want single coil sized buckers, I don't want to take it that far. I have the bucker area covered. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I just want some beefy single coils. Think Strat with balls.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

5. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

Texas specials come to mind, I think they sound like that.

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yeah Tex. Specials are for that, Or some Fralin Blues. Thicker mids and all. But that really wasn't Stevie's kinda sound, I believe he had much weaker pickups with some good wood, telephone wires and strong hands for that big growl.

7. ratkent

ratkent Member

I was a HUGE Richie Blackmore fan back in the day and I had a Strat with Duncan Quarter Pounders that sounded fantastic. Cleaned up well and could still get fat and punchy. I'm more of an LP guy now but I sometimes miss the tone of that guitar.

8. ratkent

ratkent Member

I also meant to say the other guitarist in my band has a Strat with the Kinman Woodstock Plus set and they are pretty fat sounding plus they are noiseless.

9. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

10. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Texas specials are not dark sounding, the Lindy Fralin blues specials are dark sounding, don't for get the base plate, really adds to the tone of the pup. Have the Lindy Fralin Blues Specials on my jap strat, loved the rich dark tone, found my Texas Specials to be to bright and thin on my fat strat, replaced those as well.

11. alivegy

alivegy Member

Fralin Blues Specials are pretty dark. I usually roll off the lowend to about 6 on my legacy to get more of a vintage tone if I want it.

12. woude

woude Member

kinman blues pickups.

13. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Fat singles don't have to be overwound .
    Duncan APII are very fat so are antiquities.

14. Phil M

Phil M Member

You just described the Rio Grande pickups that came in my Nash '60s S. Darker, fatter, but still clear and "stratty".

Halfbreed-Tallboy-Tallboy

15. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

Kinman Woodstock's and Seymour Duncan APS-II's are both lovely fat pickups. Pickups I haven't owned but which I think would fulfil your criteria would be Fralin Blues specials and Bare Knuckle Irish Tours.

I've owned the Kinmans and the SD's and found them a little too warm and not bright enough for my liking, but they both sounded absolutely great with overdrive. I've found that over time I've begun to prefer weaker sounding pickups and rely on my amp/pedals to darken things or overdrive them. that's why God made Tubescreamers!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  16. desceneisvals

Thanks for all the tips so far guys.

I've got Fralin Blues pickups in my Tele and love them. So I'll look into them more and others that have caught my eye throughout this.

Which Wolfetone set would you think fit best? I was just on their site checking things out actually.

Also, has anyone owned a set of Curtis Novak Strat pickups, because that was my first thought. His philosophy, if I remember correctly, was that Strat pickups don't have to be overwound to sound good and I really like where he was going with all that. Just wondering if someone actually has a set.

17. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

You described Duncan Antiquity Texas Hots.

18. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

19. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Harmonic Design Vintage Plus. Add a volume pot bleed mod and you're golden. SRV-ville. No lie. Somehow these pickups manage to stay in vintage-town, yet they're fairly powerful relative to say Duncan APSII's

jb

20. billstets

billstets Member

Yes! Don't overlook these. I used to have an excessively bright American Standard Strat and these did the trick. I previously had Fralin Blues Specials in that guitar, and these Antiquities are darker. The Antiquity Texas Hots are alnico II magnets, and the others mentioned here that I'm familiar with (such as the Blues Specials) are alnico V. The alnico Vs are brighter than IIs. If you go with Antiquities, go for the Antiquity I Texas Hots (as suggested), not the Antiquity II Surfers. The latter are also alnico V.