Best deal on a Case for an SG

MCG

Hey folks, I picked up a Gibson SG Classic this weekend, great guitar! But, I need to pickup a hard shell case for it, and was wondering if there’s anything I need to keep in mind when picking one out.(headstock angel or such) And who has the best price out there among retailers?

Thanks

MCG

P90Nut

I used to have a 1962 Les Paul Junior/SG Junior. I purchased an SKB Case for it. It worked Great! It is molded to fit an SG perfectly. I think that the model was SKB1961, I am not sure. I think that they run about $100.00 at Guitar Center. Just tell them that you are looking for the SKB mol;ded case for SG's.:AOK
You have a pretty nice guitar there in the Classic, it is well worth the money for this case. I will eventually get a Classic & this is the case that I will get.

Good luck,

Mark

MCG

Thanks for the advice guys. It looks to me as though I might as well pick up a case from Guitar Sinner as order one on line.

MCG

Beware of the TKL arched-top SG case!

I bought one via TGP Emporium for a great price, however the body (it's a '69 or '70) has to be forced/wiggled in in order to not be floating in the case (suspended by its sides). When the back does meet the "floor" of the case, the neck is then projected upward at an extreme angle that prohibits one from closing the lid (without snapped the SG's already accident-prone neck!).
It's an otherwise nicely constructed case, just poorly proportioned!
I just have the SG levitating in there so that the neck is more parallel to the case lid but, even then, the headstock/nut area sits well clear of the "bottom" portion of the case-where the closed lid seems to exert undue pressure on the nut. I'm watching it carefully and just using it for storage around the house. Maybe mine's just a lemon.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
MF sells a decent SG hard shell case for 39.99!!! It's usually in their catalog, but sometimes it's not on the website.
Item number is 545175.
Thanks for the tip. I've had two SGs for 18 years and only one case.
I just looked that one up at MF. Looks like a good deal!

sarge40

Is that MF case the one that reviewers said stank like fish and feet or something? I was looking into that one for a LP and was wondering if the reviewers were overexaggerating or not. For those who own one, is there any validity to these complaints?

Julia343

Timely thread. I picked up a Gibson SG Standard on President's Day. I asked if it came with a case. GC said yes. The ad on GC.com says "Gibson SG Standard Electric Guitar includes: Gibson Hardshell Case"

They charged me for the case. That's $129.00 + tax we're going to have a little discussion about. The case is free with the guitar. Not an extra item.

I've got to take it in to have my setup checked by the tech just for posterity purposes.

For a case however, I have to recommend the Gator GL "Hard Gig Bag". I use one for my Schecter. They're $59.00 and don't stink like formaldehyde. GC doesn't carry them.

MCG

Well I ordered one on those $39.99 numbers from MF today. I will let you guys know how it works when I get it. Thanks again for the feed back.

MCG

Julia343

Should come back on that GC thing.... The price i paid for it... they do something in inventory. The quoted price in the stores includes the case on the Standards, but when they ring you out, you get the quoted price less the case. The case goes as a separate line item for inventory purposes. Works fine. Happy ending.

rastus

I have that 39.99 one-fit my SG perfect-no smell either that I could tell. Darn good cases for the money, that's for certain!

bynt

Is that MF case the one that reviewers said stank like fish and feet or something? I was looking into that one for a LP and was wondering if the reviewers were overexaggerating or not. For those who own one, is there any validity to these complaints?
I have two of them: the black one for my Les Paul and the tweed one for my strat.

The tweed smelled chemically but it's gone away. By the way, the strat one has a lot of people complaining about the guitar not sitting tightly- I concur. It flops around but the Les Paul case is great.

MCG

Ok folks, I received my case from MF. This is the $39.99 number that the above posts were discussing. Well first let me say that I didn't notice any smell, not stinky in the least bit. It dose seem to fit my SG Classic well enough, if not perfectly. It will do for my uses, going from my home to rehearsal or the gig. But I wouldn't call this case a bargin. It is worth the $45 total it cost me, but just that. I'm sure that this case would not hold up to road work any better than a very good gig bag. Oh well, it will do for now, and I did get my money's worth. All $45.:rolleyes:

MCG

Trending Topics