Best Delay for John Mayer Tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stratm69, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

I'm really gassing for a Way Huge Aqua Puss. I'm aware that John uses one, but he also uses other delays as well such as a DL4 and among others.

My question is, will the Aqua Puss alone get me far enough into the ballpark for Mayer tones?

2. toast487

toast487 Member

It really depends on the song/era of Mayer you are after. I have an Aquapuss and it is really a great delay, but very limited in it's application. I think it can do most Continuum songs IMO. I believe it's usually on for most songs to thicken up the tone a bit. For something with a bit more prominent delay like "Vultures" you could just turn the repeats up on the AP a bit and it works well. However, if you are looking for delay sounds from the Room for Squares Album you will need something a bit clearer and with a bit longer delay time on tap. The AP is a great tone enhancer IMO but YMMV.

3. Zakko

Zakko Member

The aqua puss is most prevalent on "Out of My Mind" on the Try! record.

4. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

The AP should be sufficient for Mayer tunes. With a few song exceptions, Mayer is primarily using it for slapback. Even the songs where he needs more than slapback, the AP is enough for his applications.

5. goodhonk

goodhonk Member