Best Delay for the lowest price!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by otherone, Mar 9, 2006.

1. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

I'm a certified delay junkie. I'm mainly into analog delays and definitely need and use delays with longer delay times...with these two requirements comes a high price-tag. I have found that the best bang for your buck is definitely an Analogman high-cut mod Boss delay. I got an Analogman DD3 for $105 used and you can get one new for $185. They sound really good, very analog like. Just providing this information for those that are looking for a great analog like delay with long delay times at under $200. All my other delays were considerably more money...I have an Echoczar, a Maxon AD900, an SIB blue analog Echodrive, an SIB red Echodrive, and a Boss DD2 unmodded. They all have their pluses...if money is no object, get the Echoczar.

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

The E-H Memory man is great for the money too. Especially if add some mods later.

3. eric-d

eric-d Member

I still find it hard to beat the BYOC Delay... Best bang for the buck delay I have ever bought.

4. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

I got a Guyatone MD-3 used for fifty bucks & it's great. Even new they are under 100.

5. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

Otherone,

I have been thinking about getting an echoczar. My only hesitation is from my experience with a Maxon ad-80. The Maxon had a great warm sound but with anything more than a slapback it tended to get get very muddy, especially with gain. I've heard that the ad-900 is similar to this. Could you compare the echoczar to the ad-900, please? I love analog delay, but would like to be able to make it less muddy if needed. I have been using a dd-20. It is versatile and sounds fairly good. I just remember the analog sounded better overall (minus the muddiness of course). Thanks

Josh

6. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

I'm a big fan of the Korg 301dl. Two channels, hifi/lofi, hi damping, low damping, and ducking. All for about $75 used.

7. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

My 'vintage'/80's Ibanez 10 series delay quit working one night. My intention was to replace it with same as I totally loved it (still do), so the next day I picked up a Danelectro small plastic box delay for ~50$ (the one with the food names). A full second of delay time w/foot switchable short/long delay modes - it's pretty musical too. I got another DD10 (or whatever the Ibanez model # is) and have kept the Dano in my gear box as a backup. Pretty healthy bang for the buck.

8. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I agree 100% about the AM DD3. Over the past few years I've had the Maxon AD900, T-Rex Replica, DLS Echotap, H&K Replex, DD-20, Line6 delays, Deluxe Memory man and while they all had their strengths and weaknesses the one I've settled on for my main delay is the DD3 with the Analog Man mod. I still have a DD-20 that is cool when I need a programable delay, and I love the modulated delays on the Deluxe Memory Man so I kept one of those too, but the DD3 is the one I grab when I'm not carrying my big pedalboard. In fact the Zendrive, DD3 and a good tube amp are about all I need these days. STill wants a Fulltone TTE one day though ;)

9. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Has anyone compared the AD-900 to the AD-999? What are the differences between the two units? Thanks in advance!

10. otherone

Hey Bobotwt, with regards to the Maxon AD900 and the Echoczar...neither of them get muddy at longer delay times...that is the beauty of them. They both handle gain very well as they both have a great deal of headroom (Echoczar runs on 18V and the Maxon AD900 on 12V). With the Echoczar, you can set it at Modern and Delay settings (as opposed to Vintage and Echo), and you get clearer, more concise delay but still very organic and warm. The only delay I've found to get a touch muddy at longer delay times is the SIB blue analog delay, although I improved this by replacing the 12ax7 tube with a 12at7...the SIB blue analog delay is one hell of a delay though...it makes you want to play. There's really something about those tube delays that are remarkable (both the blue and the red).

11. otherone

Hey Bulldog, I have compared the ad900 with the ad999...they are very similar, although I like the ad900 better...just a bit warmer...also it has a much better switch - quieter, without a pop.

12. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

thanks Other, I found a forum on a more agressive search that I bumped up, if people want to post their replies there instead (keep that particular topic going). Im really interested in the Maxon differences/opinons, as I feel the Memory Lane might be to much delay (at too high a price) for a lot of people, and although the echoczar and most tape echos are supperior, most of us normal human beings can't afford to blow a guitars worth of cash on a delay effect.

13. otherone

If you don't want to spend too much, find a used Maxon AD900 for around $250-$275, or as I started this topic with, get an Analogman Hi-cut mod Boss DD2 or DD3 for around $105-$185. They're both excellent delays.

14. VanStone

VanStone Member

I scarcely ever use delay, so I just picked up a brand new Ibanez Tone Lok DE7 delay for like $65. Sounds pretty darn good for the $.

V

15. king-albert

king-albert Supporting Member

+1. It's a great sounding delay for the money. I use mine for slapback echo and it's awsesome. It will also do the self-oscillation thing if you want to kneel down and turn knobs.

16. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I thought I'd won a Zen Drive on e(vil)Bay. With less than a minute to go, I was sniped... Then for whatever reason, my wireless router hiccuped for a few seconds; couldn't get the flippin' page to load. Oh well, the guy who sniped me was then sniped as well, then bidding ended...

Some days...

jb
    :BEER

17. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Mon apologies - didn't mean to hijack your thread; this should have been the start of a new thread....

SORRY!:eek:

18. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

What mods teddy boy?

19. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Oh my God! Realfi,
    For a complete and painful rundown on the mods, search for the infamous and most ugly DMM V. Echoczar thread of a few weeks ago. There are several mods spoken of there that are available for the DMM (and which ultimately push the total investment in a DMM up to the cost of the Echoczar).
    I must admit, they do appear as if they would be great.

20. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

OK then...when I summon up the courage I'll have a look.