Best delay pedal for U2?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by foodforthegods, Dec 6, 2016.

1. foodforthegods

foodforthegods Member

I'm searching a for delay pedal that does the job for U2 sound. Mainly looking for the digital delay type. Must have dual delay and easy to setup.

2. earwax

earwax Member

Which U2 sound?

Would say SDD 3000 but if you want dual delays then probably the DIG?

Drewthemusical likes this.
  3. Michael_92

Michael_92 Member

Well, the classic sound as I understand it is a big box memory man. Because that what The Edge used. BUT every one always says, clean digital delay. With that in mind (and excuse me for suggesting it) the Strymon DIG might be right up your alley. Dual delay, does big panning stereo stuff out of the box, you can have a preset and tap tempo. The low pass function will help you dial it into your mix and the subdivision options are standard but useful. I absolutely suggest something with tap tempo though since so much of what they do is in sync with the tempo of the song.

Drewthemusical likes this.
  4. 108

108 Member

I don't know about the best but the TC Triple Delay immediately pops to mind as a decent option at a good price.

LordByron and guy8string like this.
  5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

2290 emulation type??? I dunno... he used so many different ones through the years. I got a very decent "Streets" sound with a TCE Flashback on 2290 and dotted 8th settings. Maybe the TCE triple is a good idea?

Edit - the TC Nova Repeater also gave me a great U2 sound. They have built in tap too.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    LordByron likes this.
  6. Ejphotos

Ejphotos Supporting Member

TC Nova Delay. Studio quality in a pedal. Mine is great. It can nail U2 sounds and a heck of a whole lot more.

Mentat, Wolfboy1, cust22 and 2 others like this.
  7. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

If you want dual delay, nothing beats the timefactor.

8. stilwel

stilwel Member

In no particular order:
    Strymon Timeline
    Eventide Time Factor or H9
    Line 6 M9/M13
    Zoom MS-70CDR
    Boss DD-500
    Source Audio Nemesis

All of these sound great for U2 delay sounds...complete with dual delays.

For the single-delay songs just about any digital delay, with modulation controls for both speed and depth, will do just fine. The Free The Tone Flight Time Delay is a killer 2290 style digital delay, but doesn't do dual delays. They are spendy, so having a pair of them is overkill for what you need from a secondary delay.

The dual delays are what makes it trickier. These days there are so many good units that can do dual delays, which to me is critical as you want the timing between the 2 delays to be locked in either by Tap Tempo or MIDI clock sync.

I almost exclusively dial in any U2 related delay patches by BPM and I set the rhythmic subdivisions (1/8, .1/8, 1/4, etc) on the device.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    Onemileguy and TheKermitC like this.
  9. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Agree with the initial answer. Which U2 sound or era?

I was on the hunt for something like this a while ago for the classic Joshua type sounds. My favorite all around choices for a single stomp to cover a wide swath of U2 are:

H9
    DIG

H9 is going to let you tailor that "inferior" digital sound (Vintage Delay), plus crystals, shimmer and who knows what else. But DIG is going to be your easy device to obtain just what you want from a delay and is great sounding.

I also have an SDD-3000. Couldn't resist, since they were blowing them out of stores this year. It has the tone for sure, but isn't always the complete story behind what The Edge does. The preamp in it can certainly be a factor though. I'd use the pedal more if wasn't such a behemoth.

Regardless of the pedal you choose, I found one thing to be true. For the classic sound and feel, put it in front of an AC-30 style tube amp and let the delays push the input of the amp a bit into clipping. The day I finally did that was an epiphany. I was so set in my mind against putting a delay anywhere except an fx loop and it was like trying to get THE sound with one arm tied behind my back.

10. foodforthegods

foodforthegods Member

Im looking for the joshua tree type of sound (streets, I still haven't found, with or without...)

11. Ejphotos

Ejphotos Supporting Member

Lol, just played a streets have no name riff with the TC Nova Delay I mentioned above just because of this thread. Set it on the dual delay quarter note and dotted eighth, then you can adjust everything else on it too, from sound color (tape-analog-digital), add different flavors and amount of modulation, select which delay style, can run mono or stereo (can do ping pong and panning), can edit and save presets, or full manual mode...easy to use, sturdy, looks cool.

Mentat likes this.
  12. DieHon

DieHon Member

[​IMG]

Stressfest, tdump and FenderBigot like this.
  13. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides!

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    The SDD-3000 does sound great (both the pre-amp and the delay tones), but it is a behemoth.

The Boss DD-500 actually sounds fantastic for U2 stuff (Vintage Digital a/k/a 2290, Analog, Echorec). It will do two parallel delays or you can do a single double tap delay to get the Edge rhythmic stuff.

The TC Triple is also a great U2 sound machine and the ability to do multiple delays in parallel or serially, really lets you do some Edge-stle sonic exploration.

BUT

The cheapest, easiest way to get 90+% of the Edge's delay sounds? A Flashback (single) and an Alter Ego (also single). Wire them up in stereo. Use the Flashback for 2290 and Tube Echo and the Alter Ego for DMM, Tape, and EchoRec. Cascade the FB into the AE (2290 set to 1/4+.1/8 into EchoRec2 at 1/4+.1/8) and you get the sonic wind from Who's Going to Ride Tour Wild Horses and other stuff from Achtung Baby and later. 2290 set to 1/4+.18 is Joshua Tree all the way. DMM modes will get you War and Boy.

Cascading delays is fun stuff. Go experiment! :)

14. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides!

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    Oh, and if you want to get that great SDD-3000 pre-amp sound without the monster-sized pedal, get a Valeton FB-10 FET Boost (it's a clone of the Boss FA-1)... it's about as close as you can get these days without paying an arm and a leg.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  15. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

It depends on how in-depth you want to get. The Line 5 M9 and the TC Triple will get you going quickly, the Boss DD-500 takes a little more work but the "Over the Edge" patch instantly gives you the "Streets" delay sound.

I have the DD-500 and I love it for U2-type stuff.

PS - If you haven't found this website on The Edge's delay magic, I highly recommend it.

ThinPaperWings, LordByron and jimbugg like this.
  16. Kyle Byquist

Kyle Byquist Member

Basically any high quality digital delay (Strymon, Eventide, Free the Tone, SDD-3000 Pedal, etc) that has a readout for milliseconds or BPM will get you any sound past the "War" album.. I really recommend the BPM/mS readout because it's hard to dial in (precise) rhythmic delays without knowing exact delay times.
    You'd also need to set up two in parallel to get EXACTLY what Edge is doing, but you can get close with one pedal.
    I'm using a Free the Tone Flight Time and it's phenomenal (Saving up for a second one for full stereo / parallel setup)

Chance and Jules-RM like this.
  17. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Eventide TimeFactor is by far the best I've used for U2. For the early stuff, you need a DMM

chillybilly likes this.
  18. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

For things like U2 and Floyd I like to be able to see the time or BPM readout. That said, the H9, Timefactor or Timeline will get you there. If you didn't need dual delay I'd suggest the Providence Chrono. If you don't care about the time readout, there is always the DIG.

NielsM, dr smutglove and the tourist like this.
  19. iamthearm

iamthearm Member

I always thought his thing was DMM

20. stilwel

stilwel Member

Early 80's was DMM.
    Mid 80's he used the Korg SDD-3000.
    Late 80's early 90's he started using TC2290.