Best delay pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by toneman335, Apr 3, 2008.

1. toneman335

toneman335 Member

What delay pedals do you like and why?

2. iggs

iggs Member

Currently using and loving the Retroman KopyKat

Sounds amazing, two delay times, "sweetness" control for tone and compression of the repeats, send/return loop, TB ... etc.

3. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I am using an MXR Carbon Copy for its rich, organic analog repeats with a touch of modulation that can get crazy oscilation when needed. I run that into a Boss DD-20 set to its tape emulation (2 head) dotted 1/8th. I have never been as happy with a delay set up as this..... and I've used a lot of them.

4. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay...I hated delays until I tried this at namm...Its clean sounding and very versatile but dosent have super long delays which I dont need anyway...Plus their resale is good...All you can ask for in a pedal.:)

5. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

"What is the best delay ...delay ...delay ...delay" thread part 27. Does anyone hear an echo? We do have a search function.

6. Birddog

Birddog Member

I have 2 Ibanez DE-7 on my board. You can get "delay" and a very convincing "echo" that sounds quite analog.

I have one set to delay with a light slapback and the other set with a deep echo. If one of them broke down, I'd definitely replace it.

Great (and affordable) pedals.

7. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Carl Martin Red Repeat, it has the best analog trails I've heard on a digital. Plus there is a tone knob for the trails.
    Guitar and Bass Magazine had a budget delay shootout and number 1 was the Red Repeat. That's when I bought it.

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Still lovin' my DD-6 with the Analogman Hi-Cut mod.
    NOW... when the DD-7 comes out and if Mike can do a Hi-Cut mod to that... that may take the cake for me...

-Ben

9. madscientist

madscientist Member

Bought a CMatMods Deeelay a few weeks back, and now, I don't know how I ever played without one. It's on all the time and it adds a really pleasant tone to my sound, a finishing touch. Great sounding delay, not too bright, more than enough delay time for me, and I don't need anything like tap tempo.

10. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

1. SiB Echodrive - best imho.
    2. Malekko E600 bright - really great new pedal.
    3. Keeley modded AD-9 - very very nice too w/ foot enhanced manual delay freak out.
    4. EH Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai - super cool, lots of sonic possibilities & looping too.
    and, on the cheap - the Dan-Echo sounds very good for the price.

11. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Is this pedal based on the oldWEM/Guild Copicat tape unit? I read the specs but wasn't sure if it's a modern version. I used to have a WEM.

12. hbentley

hbentley Member

man, i'm delay heavy right now. i've been through dozens, but this is what i have right now...

TREX Replica (great sounding simple delay with tap and dotted 8th option)
    Analogman AR20XL (killer analog delay in the dm-2 vein)
    Maxon AD999 (great analog delay with 900ms)
    Keeley DL4 (very versatile for live work)
    Echoplex EP-3 (that beautiful tape sound)

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Best: Way Huge Aquapuss

Anything else? Cool but not the best...

14. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I'm using T E H Moog delay. Mine's the 104Z model. It's very smooth. Really nice repeats.

15. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

If you dont want modulation, tap tempo, more than 500ms, etc.

16. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Not a fashionable boutique choice, but I like my Boss DD-3 for just a plain-Jane delay, meaning it just creates uncolored echoes of your original signal, sounds great and doesn't get in your way. If it's good enough for Bonamassa...

If you don't mind a bit of (minimal) sound coloration and can handle the pricetag, the Eventide Timefactor is unbeatable. It's incredibly deep, versatile, and programmable, yet easy to use. Tweaking it is actually fun, not brain damage. I love the sound - it's not transparent, but if anything it fattens the tone somewhat, so in this case coloration is a good thing.

17. teXum

teXum Member

Two on my board, Retro Sonic Analog Delay and MP Deep Blue Delay. Are they the best? In the category "few features, few, but excellent sounds, in the vintage category" I believe they are among the contenders.

18. sega

sega Member

Hey IGGS, what would you compare the KopyKat to?
    Is it simalar to:

RetroSonic delay(dm-2 replica)
    T-Rex
    Re-20
    Maxon ad-999
    Ibanez ad-9
    or else?

Did you ask for a custom paint?
    Delay for delivry?

Thanks

19. iggs

iggs Member

I can't really compare to anything else since the KK is very well designed and thought out from the ground up I guess. Sound wise it's not in the "digital" category even though it uses a digital chip for the repeats, but the dry and mix signal paths are analog. It sounds very clear, but the repeats are nice and "warm" ... they can go from clear to extra dark with the "sweetness" control.

Instead of plain-Jane tone control it has a compander and filtering circuit that (to my ears) compresses the repeats as well as darkening them at the same time ... creating a very "musical" sounding effect. Dry signal is unaffected as much as I can tell. The send/return loop can be assigned to either dry or mix paths for some very nice effects. Joe suggests using either his power supply or something around 11-12V, but I run it from my 9V regulated SKB power supply and it works great. I believe it internally regulates and raises the voltage anyway.

I got it in nice sparkle red with white lettering which looks awesome. Great sounding and simple to operate delay with some nice additions and options.

[​IMG]

20. sega

sega Member

I would like to get a demo, but the website soundtrack's are songs, not a ''demo''.

If you can get me some sound files it would be cool.

By the way it looks sharp in red.

How long for the delivery?