Best Delay to run in front of a heavy distorted amp for 80's style solos

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sparkle**, Apr 1, 2008.

1. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

Best Delay to run in front of a heavy distorted amp for 80's style solos

I have a CAA OD-100 SE+ and don't really want to use the loop as I am using the loop for more gain and a global master.

I like the dynamic delay or short delay/echo feel... maybe Lynchesqe...

2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Sorry man. Any delay in front of a heavily distorted amp is going to sound like crap. Go to guitar center and try any delay through the front end of any distorted amp and you will see for yourself. The amp and delay quality don't matter. Delay has to be after distortion for a clean, useable sound.

3. jbird

jbird Member

I'm curious to this myself...The Mad Professor DBD is said to be designed to work well in front of an amp... Or possibly, the ducking/dynamic features of the Nova/Time Factors?

4. rob2001

rob2001 Member

My thoughts as well.

How do you use a loop for more gain?

5. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Yeah, i'm a firm believer in time based effects into a high gain amp needs to be put through the loop. If you were running a loud/clean amp and using pedals for gain...different story ;)

6. gearboy

gearboy Member

+100000

7. andershoeg

andershoeg Member

I have got the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay. I can tell you, it does not sound good in front of my Mesa Single Recto, or in front of my Mesa F30, when they are in "metal-mode" :) In the loop, a different story!
    b.r. andershoeg

8. HHB

HHB Member

the bad news is true, there isnt one

9. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

it works well.

I own one and it does the job.

Of course i love modulation effects+delay+reverb in the loop

10. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

Lets go this direction....

How bad is it going to sound "Live" with another guitar bass and drums...going full bore...is it really going to be "that" noticable.

11. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

yes it is sparkle.....

the only way it will sound tolerable is if you just run your amp slightly dirty...use a crunchbox for ur gain and run the delay after the crunch box...

12. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I've had a Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay on my board for a year now, since they first came out.

It really does the 80's thing exceptionally well. Big "guitar hero" stadium solos, etc.

But I don't think you're going to get around the fact that delay typically want to see distortion come first in the chain. So if you get distortion from pedals, you want the delay to come after ... even if there's no FX loop, you're okay.

But if you're gonna get all your distortion tones from the amp itelf, then the delay really need to go in the FX loop so that it will still be post pre-amp distortion.

I'd try the DBD. I've been through quite a few, and I really love this one.

Doc :)

13. ed84246

ed84246 Member

I have to disagree - it is difficult, but not impossible - I run my Boss DD-3 using an Xotic effects x-blender. Run the effect level on the DD-3 low and mix the signal low with the x-blender and I got some very nice delay that wasn't muddy or overwhelming, using a gain cranked Bogner Shiva (with a Voodoo amps mod to give it more VH like gain) and a 10 watt EL34 single ended amp that Mark Cameron did a Jose mod on - a lot of eighties crunch gain there and I max out the gain, plus Mark added an extra gain stage on the amp. With the DD-3 and the x-blender, I got the delay to add some ambiance and not overwhelm. It is tricky to set it up, and I would never claim it sounds just as good as delay in the loop, but it's very useable.

14. Th35oloist

Th35oloist Member

I know this forum is really old. But im pretty sure a lot of ppl r still reading it, so im gonna share what i know. Im a big fan of old school tones and i have nvr used my time based or modulation pedals in the loop or after dist. Ive always used my boss dd 3 delay infront of everything as a pre delay. But a week earlier i was messing with the settings and i found that if u turn down the level on ur delay pedal to a point that u can hear the delay effect and still let ur guitar sigal comes through clearly, it sounds just as great as if its in the loop! So im guessing any delay pedals with a level knob will do.

15. danonbass

danonbass Member

Brains!! Must have brains!

16. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

+1
    Yup, any delay will sound like poop in front of a heavily distorted amp. I've struggled with this myself for a long time trying all the delays that are "supposed" to work (DBD, DE7, Flashback in Lofi mode etc) and I have had to realize its a dead end. Delay must be after distortion, always.

17. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

Just don't turn it up so high that all the repeats are the same volume. It's a completely differrent animal than into a clean amp.

My AD999 sounds great in front of my amps. It's not a studio delay effect but it works fine for me.

18. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I love delay into the front of a dirty amp. I'm not playing high gain metal or anything though. I think dirty delay may be somewhat of an acquired taste. Its a whole different sound than into a clean amp, and it needs to be adjusted accordingly, meaning typically lower mix and less repeats.

19. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

:aok

20. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

Most amps "clean up" as the volume drops... I prefer the trails to have the same amount of distortion though the trails as the first note.... might not be noticeable in all situations... but if you are using a big long delay in front of a gained up amp you will hear it clean up when you let it trail away....