Best Deluxe 5E3 Kit?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Nolatone Ampworks, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

Hi all,

Thinking of building a 5E3 kit for fun. There are a TON of them out there.

Question is, which is the best and doesn't overpower itself with price?

Thanks,

Paul

2. mpeg2

mpeg2 Member

3. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Mission, hands down!!!

MikeY

4. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Mojo.Mission used their cabinets and tranformers anyway.

5. hasserl

hasserl Member

For quality of parts and technical support, Mission Amps for sure. IMO nobody knows the 5E3 circuit better than Bruce Collins. And the guy is super at providing support for these amps, not just to his customer's but to people all over the world that post questions.

6. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

Another +1 for mission. Beautiful quality with his stock components and it sounds awesome.

7. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Did anyone say Mission yet? If not: Mission.

8. TungstenAmp

TungstenAmp Gold Supporting Member

If I had to build from a pre-made kit, I'd go with Mission. Bruce is a saint.

9. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

Not to hi-jack your thread, but does anyone make a 5E3 kit in a head configuration other than Weber?

10. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Wrong, call Bruce and ask him about the latter part of your statement.

MikeY

11. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Bruce is an great guy and provides a real service.

12. jaydawg76

jaydawg76 Supporting Member

Just in case you are unsure, I would go with Mission.

13. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

this guy sounds reasonable...

14. Nolatone Ampworks

Soooo... I take it you guys like....Mission. Thanks :)

15. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

If you need instructions and great technical support Mission is definitely the way to go.
    I see Mission selling Mojo cabinets all the time on E-Bay,so connecting the dots is not hard.I get great service from Mojo so I use them.

16. Nolatone Ampworks

I'm hoping NOT to need instructions and support. That's the point. I'm going to build the amp stock, then modify it. It's a lab project for myself.

BUT, may need some help just to get the right nudges, so, never hurts to have a gentle hand a phone call away! :)

17. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

The Mission kit just comes with a schematic and a very comprehensive layout drawing (the wire measurements on the drawing are very helpful).

I just built one last week, again (I'm not selling this one). Sure I could have just bought the pieces and not bothered with a kit, but by the time you add up all of the different shipping charges the kit is not much more.

Mission 5E3 kit pics:

1) The parts come well organized!
    [​IMG]

2) The chrome is well done, and the PEM nut make assembly a breeze.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then tweaked it to taste.
    [​IMG]

Here is a cheesy clip.http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=600643&songID=6117237

MikeY

18. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

Mike (teleamp), what are those large gold caps? Did you notice a change when you swapped out the Mallory's?

In my mission I swapped the 5y3 rectifier for a 5v4, rebiased with a 330ohm cathode resistor. That mod is a keeper. A RCA 6201 in the first position seemed to really clarify the voice of the amp too. They can be thin sounding in some amps, but here it did the trick. Works for me anyway.

19. hasserl

hasserl Member

If you're not needing BRuce's help along the way, and you don't mind doing a little bit of parts sourcing, getting a Weber kit is not a bad way to go. You can save quite a few bucks and end up with a great amp. You can get the Weber kit with MM trannies if you prefer, or get the kit without trannies and source your won. I've built and played several with the stock trannies and I think they are perfectly good to use, if they are not perfect match to original trannies. You'll want to upgrade the switches, pots and jacks. But Weber also has Carling switches available on their site you can add to your order and use them instead of the stock kit switches. Same with the jewel light, get one of the good Fender styles off their site; and pick up some Switchcraft jacks somewhere else as I don't think Weber carries them (Small Bear Electronics has good prices on these and fast service). The resistors and caps supplied with the kit are fine, as is the board. Actually, the pots work fine also, though you might like to upgrade, but you don't need to. The chassis, while not as nicely chromed as Mission's are perfectly fine to use, as is the cabinet. Put a Blue Dog Alnico 12 in it and you'll have a great sounding amp at a good price.

But you can see, it takes a bit more parts sourcing. Go with the MIssion kit and it's pretty complete. There's a hefty price increase though, but that's your choice.

20. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

The large gold caps are Jensen paper in oils. This was the first change and had a slight impact, then I changed the other .1/630's for Orange Drop 715P's and got some more improvement IMO.

The Mission chassis kit is $389 and has quality parts and the Weber chassis kit is $365 and has budget conscious parts, the Mission is definitely worth the few extra dollars.

MikeY