• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Best digital mixing board

Bo Faulkner

I'm quite pleased with my Allen & Heath QU16 that replaced my Mixwiz. FYI I was able to get mine discounted down to $1600 (plus tax) at GC. Being able to record all 16 discrete tracks plus the stereo main straight to a USB thumb drive is awesome. It sounds great and is quite easy to use!
This is the one in interested in! Anyone compared this to the
Touchmix?

TimmyP

For me, sidechain EQ on the comps is a must have. I think the X32 is the only affordable mixer that has it.

xtian

Silver Supporting Member
Following up on the X32 Rack purchase. It has been awsome, reliable, awesome, flexible, freakin' awesome. Since I have an iPad on stage, I can help with the band's monitoring requests, freeing our engineer to concentrate on FOH, which really speeds load-in and set up. No snake or speaker cables running thru the audience or around the venue!

Main drawbacks: the iPad software is OK, but it definitely takes practice, and even after learning, you're still slower on the draw than when you have a full mixer in front of you. Also, the WiFi can be an issue--sometimes we have to reposition the antenna to avoid lags or dropouts. Doesn't affect the audio, but makes trouble for the engineer.

Overall, extremely happy.

ceeinwa

If the XR18 doesn't work out for me (for whatever reason), I'll end up with the X32 Rack. It's seriously overkill for a four piece cover band, but I've got to have Android support and at least four aux sends.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Silver Supporting Member
My QSC TM-16 is the best PA purchase of my life. Great sound and features, super compact and cost $1299. Ivd had zero Wifi issues smd the new V2 software made it even better.

jimfist

I'll pocket the $400-500 difference, buy a 5 ghz wireless router and stick with the XR18 for the time being. Sure, might be a minor inconvenience, but no different than the current state of affairs with the DL1608, which has no chance of working as a hard wired unit to a PC, or wireless with a PC or with an android. Still early for the XR18, so I'm fine hanging out to see where it all lands.

ceeinwa

I just noticed that both of my Android tablets won't connect to my 5 GHz wifi connection, only the 2.4 GHZ option.

Does anyone know if that is a symptom of cheap tablets, or maybe something else?

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I just noticed that both of my Android tablets won't connect to my 5 GHz wifi connection, only the 2.4 GHZ option.

Does anyone know if that is a symptom of cheap tablets, or maybe something else?
you need to research the specs of those tablets to answer that, if they're 5GHz capable or not.

ceeinwa

you need to research the specs of those tablets to answer that, if they're 5GHz capable or not.
Oh dear. I wonder if I've got myself into a pickle... :jo

Finding a 5 GHZ capable tablet is proving difficult. It appears as it's mostly iPad that offers dual channel wifi.

Last edited:

griggsterr

Silver Supporting Member
Buy what you want, but I am not a fan of tablet only controlled mixers. I kind of like the Touchmix for this reason. It is never a question of if you might loose or drop connectivity. It is a matter of when you loose connectivity. IF you travel enough and go in and out of enough places, and it will happen period.

ceeinwa

Buy what you want, but I am not a fan of tablet only controlled mixers. I kind of like the Touchmix for this reason. It is never a question of if you might loose or drop connectivity. It is a matter of when you loose connectivity. IF you travel enough and go in and out of enough places, and it will happen period.
The only consolation is someone mixing from the stage isn't going to need constant connectivity because they generally aren't going to be making a lot of adjustments. Instruments first, right? Yeah, of course a dropout is going to be stressful and will require fixing. But the show can go on even if the control device loses connection. If not the rest of the set, for sure through the end of the song.

Moxsam

The only consolation is someone mixing from the stage isn't going to need constant connectivity because they generally aren't going to be making a lot of adjustments. Instruments first, right? Yeah, of course a dropout is going to be stressful and will require fixing. But the show can go on even if the control device loses connection. If not the rest of the set, for sure through the end of the song.
Yes but the LAST thing you need if you are a band mixing from stage is more stress. There is so much going on already and you need to focus on your performance. ANY technical difficulties are a big deal. Being up on stage singing and playing only to look down to see the ipad has lost connection is going to be a bad experience and take the fun out of performing very quickly. You should buy equipment that is going to make your life easier and enjoyable.

It's obvious that mixing 100% via wifi connection is a flawed approach and you can never be absolutely confident with it. Sure there are backup tablets but again limited confidence. A wired in laptop as a backup helps if you don't mind a laptop on stage. I personally hate the look of it and don't want to deal with where to safely put it or worry about it on a crazy stage or night.

After an entire year of research and deliberating I'm convinced that if you are buying a digital mixer you should BUY A MIXER. Something that will work stand alone. Remote mixing via tablet should be considered a bonus option.

This also sets you free from all the BS of whether the tablet you own will still work or be supported "X" years from now. Buy something quality and it will work well and last.

I'm going for a QSC Touchmix 16. I think it is the perfect combination. The workflow on the unit and the app seem very well thought out, easy and intuitive. The company website, forum, manual, and support all seem top notch. From what I've read the unit is very well built and sounds amazing.

Last edited:

eddie knuckles

Silver Supporting Member
I play in a 6-piece band playing top 40 country, pop, blues and rock. We spent a good year researching, and my son happen to be a live music and audio engineer. We had our hearts set on the Harmon products (Soundcraft) and then saw the Behringer X-32. TONS of professional touring acts are travelling with these, pushing aside the $60K house consoles and plugging in their Behringers. Midas microphone preamps on these, BTW (likely not "the" most expensive ones, but a company that knows what it does well).

We have been using the system for about a year now, and we are not turning back. Even my purist all-analog-or-die son LOVES these now. Quick to set up once you have been using them for a while - EQ the room you are playing, "save" it as that room, and next time you play there.... BOOM. One button and done. Pretty cool. And our sound guy is the only one allowed to walk around the room with a tablet and make changes...

:eek:)

Trending Topics