Best digital multitrack recorder available today?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by axdxm, Jan 26, 2015.

1. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

I am looking for a good multitrack recorder (at least 8 tracks) that saves to SD card and has at least 3 band eq for each track. Effects are a bonus. Not looking to spend a fortune, but I am curious what is out is out there since PC/Mac multitrack recording seems to be the dominant method. I hate all the latency problems associated with computer recording, so I am looking at hardware.

Any input is appreciated!

2. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Musicians Friend has been having some big discounts (>60%) on certain Tascam products, some of these are multitrack recorders. Those would be worth watching.

I might be the only guy that likes old school digital recorders, but IMHO it is hard for the home recorder to do much better than a Roland VS-2480. It is a pro level unit that has tremendous capabilities, versatile IO, you can hook a big display to it, sounds terrific, and is built like a tank. For my uses it is many times the machine I will ever need.

The Roland 1680/1880 is much the same, but you can't connect a remote display to it, and you don't have the motorized faders (that alone is worth the price difference). You can get 1680/1880's fairly cheap used.

buddaman71 likes this.
  3. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

man, the tascam DP-24 is REALLY nice. Go check out my album on iTunes or Amazon for a sample.. I recorded the whole thing with the DP-24. The Hillbilly Sins "Dirt Road Gospels"

4. TrickinSid

TrickinSid Member

5. db9091

db9091 Member

Most fun I had recording was using an AKAI DPS24, just sounded so good. But transferring WAV's to the PC or Macbook for mixing was a PIA. (the Akai's effects were outdated compared to plugins)

Outboard gear IS more fun, but the market is shifting towards computer DAWs and using hardware controllers for them (keep the "fun" in it for me). But that's probably more expensive if your computer is older. That said, an under $1000 Macbook with a new $200 SSD, $230 One by Apogee audio input will do wonders for recording ($60 Reaper or $200 Logic Pro X for a DAW)

But that might be a bit too expensive not to mention a bit of a learning curve so...

Your advantage in wanting an external recorder is the massive shift TO computer based recording has put A LOT of digital recorders on the market for cheap (and some outrageous asking prices, so beware) but you should be able to find good deals w/o buying new.

But that link to the Zoom, that's quite a cheap unit, wow! Personally I'd want motorized faders if there are only 8 banks of them.

6. Ben R

Ben R Member

Not sure what your overall needs or limitations are... but, I feel that computer-based recording is the way to go these days. Do you need portability? Is latency your only issue with computer-based? Tell us more about your issues. Latency should be minimal these days with a decent computer and audio interface.

7. corvus

corvus Member

as mentioned Tascam DP 24 or 32, personnally have a DP-32 hooked up to laptop , can record on DP and transfer to DAW . for $400 hard to beat

8. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

Not a lot of options these days, computer based recording seems to be the way things are going. I have a Zoom R8, MRS-8, PS-04 and a Boss Micro BR, enjoy them all but the R8 is my favorite. If I needed more inputs I'd go for the Zoom R24. I considered an R16 but it doesn't have an onboard drum machine, which is a must have for me. The biggest selling point for the R8 vs. the Tascam DP-008 is that the Zoom records direct to wav, no converting.

Luckieian likes this.
  9. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Man, I have basically zero latency with my MacBook Pro running Logic X using MOTU hardware.

I wouldn't go for a hardware approach anymore myself.

10. chrishurley

chrishurley Supporting Member

I agree with the points about computer recording being really useful but there is something about using the hardware unit that just sorta forced me to focus on the recording. Maybe it is the limited effects or options made me just get to work. :)

Plus having real knobs and faders...

I'd love a portable digital unit that could handle all the field recording and rough mix and then send the result down to the computer for finishing if necessary.

Tmidiman likes this.
  11. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Me as well Chris. I get fantastic results using a Korg D1200 MK2 digital recorder with built in Cd burner.. I do lots of instrumental music and it's all done direct with a Beat Buddy, a Kemper and an 11 rack. The only computer used is for keyboards which are done on Sampletank and Sampletron. It lets me concentrate on the music and the right tones, and it's fast....
    To the Op, I'd buy a Tascam or Zoom recorder.. The Alesis SR18 is also a great drum machine..

12. mattball826

mattball826 Member

roland vs2000, vs2400, vs2480 series now go for cheap. these were thousands years ago and they do have vga output and mouse options as well as having automation. they record 16 tracks simultaneous (vs2000 does 8 trk s.r.), and it would take two very nice audio interfaces to be able to record 16 tracks at once.

13. eschatts

eschatts Member

I have the zoom r24 and it works good. I pipe the recordings into reaper.

14. eschatts

eschatts Member

15. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

The Zoom series are good for this since they will also work as a control surface and interface for DAWs. Not sure how well since I've never tried to use it that way. I usually pull all the tracks into the DAW for final tweaking. I think most people who still like the hardware interface do the same. I just don't like playing guitar in front of a computer.

16. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

The BEST digital recorder available today is RADAR, regardless of format.

http://www.izcorp.com

You asked...

imaxeman69 likes this.
  17. gumtown

gumtown Member

Been using an old Korg D1600 which I pickup up cheep ($50) it can record up to 16 tracks at once @ 16 bit or 8 tracks at a time @ 24 bit.
    It works great for live gig recording, tapped out of the mixing desk inserts.

18. GoldDragon

GoldDragon Guest

I had a dp24. Very cool sounds great. Only problem was that fx were difficult to use and there was no balanced output, or digital io for that matter.

Compared to an entry notebook with cubase artist, not a good deal, not very capable.

I really liked the transport controls though. Overall too much trouble for serious work, too big for a personal scratchpad.

19. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Ha! I've always wanted a Radar, 24 tracks of awesomeness with no tape hassle. :)

20. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I think about the music more than the technology best when the technology gets out of my way.

FOr me, once I understood how to use Logic, it freed me more than hardware ever did.

It's all up to you, not the gear.