• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

best direct guitar box for recording

sf audio

So my room doesn't sound good - even when close micing I get all kinds of muck/phase so I've given up on that for now.

Using an ADA MP1 and Kittyhawk Quattro into an ADA microcab II. I get good sounds, but as you would expect it's not like a great miced up amp in a room....

So what would be a better direct solution? Palmer, ADA ampulator? Want to take the direct recording to the best possible level I can...

thanks

Baloney

Too many good DI boxes to list. Dont go cheap. Another option is to build a ISO box. Stick a mic and the cab/amp in it and crank the pee out of it.

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
If a crappy sounding room is the problem, maybe you could do what I do. Seems to work OK for me. There are only two in the photos, but I actually use four in total.

Just throwin' out options.

ac

a1briz

Platinum Supporting Member
fwiw - I have a brand new, unused Peavey MSDI Patch box for sale.
$85 shipped.

Basically its Peavey's take on the Palmer PDI-09. I know its built in
in some of their higher end amps. One nice feature of the Peavey is that
it has a level control (i don't think the palmer has this but not sure).

Steve Dallas

I use a Palmer as a load box only and send the dry signal into Sonar, where I use impulse cab and mic sims. It is very flexible, works great, and sounds better than any cab sim device I have ever heard.

Kevin

I use a Palmer as a load box only and send the dry signal into Sonar, where I use impulse cab and mic sims. It is very flexible, works great, and sounds better than any cab sim device I have ever heard.
I also use this approach with the Palmer PGA04, although I use the effected signal through a Neve clone preamp direct to DAW. It sounds great with a cab sim with a little room verb for air. I've got 4 different heads that I can match different cab sims to.
If you like the way your amps sound, this gets it as close as you can get, IMO, without miking.

Steve Dallas

I also use this approach with the Palmer PGA04, although I use the effected signal through a Neve clone preamp direct to DAW. It sounds great with a cab sim with a little room verb for air. I've got 4 different heads that I can match different cab sims to.
If you like the way your amps sound, this gets it as close as you can get, IMO, without miking.
"Effected" or "uneffected"?

I use the 04 also, but don't like the cab sim in it at all. It makes every amp sound pretty much the same to me. So I have the Filter volume turned all the way down and the Full Range volume turned all the way up.

I'm a little confuzzled at what you are saying there...

Kevin

You're confuzzled because I said "effected", which is what I meant to say. The "cab sim" (filter) in the Palmer is nothing more than a low pass filter. It doesn't really simulate anything. For higher distortion settings on my amp, I find I like to roll off those spikey frequencies before I hit the sim impulse in my DAW. If I need some more presence, I'll add some 2-4k broad eq.
For clean to mild crunch sounds, the full range sounds better without so much filtering from the Palmer. All a matter of taste though. I dial it in differently every time I use it and I find that each of my amps needs to be tweaked differently.
When it comes down to my keeper takes though, I do mic my cab because I have the room and the know how to make it sound better than the Palmer. But for putting ideas down quietly, I haven't found anything better than the Palmer with cab impulses.

sf audio

If a crappy sounding room is the problem, maybe you could do what I do. Seems to work OK for me. There are only two in the photos, but I actually use four in total.

Just throwin' out options.

ac
So you get better isolation with this setup? What about reflections from above?

I find that I like the mic'd up guitar cab sound better, but the direct sound is warmer and more defined. The mic'd sound has muck in it, like it's picking up all the bad reflections.

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
As I mentioned, I actually use four cushions total. I just left them off in the picture so you could see the mic inside.

I position three around the front of the cab as shown, and lay the fourth on top to keep out reflections from above. It's as dead as a doornail inside my little cushion fort. :AOK

ac

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Why not a Pod X3L or something like that? Or a used ToneLab SE (my fave of those).

shoe124

I used to use a little palmer and split my signals to record a direct signal and amp at the same time, but have recently come across The MW-1 It is killer..The little palmer box blow a few chips in it and had to be repaired, so it was always suspect. The MW-1 has a great boost function with input impedance controls, and it can also be used to re-route things back thru amps..like vocals or virtual instruments...It also has several ground lifting points to get rid of hums...It's a great, great piece.

Todd

sf audio

I'm just using the preamp output into the ADA microcab. I'd imagine that using a load box like the palmer or even the bluestone will sound better, as it's taking the speaker out into line level, and then I could run through the microcab?

TAVD

Guitar Player
Platinum Supporting Member
I had a microcab II and IIRC, it can accept up to 100w speaker level signals. I never tried it though because like you, I used a preamp with the microcab. I believe you'll still need a load box for the amp, however.

The MW-1 has become my favorite guitar DI. Of course it doesn't simulate a speaker cab but if you intend to use software amp emulators, check it out.

wrightdude

My room has a closed and muffled sound when recording. One thing that helps is to tilt the amp back a little.

I have a Redbox but would not suggest that for serious recording. Have had better luck recordind amp direct into gearbox w/amp model turned off using only cab model.... But close mic'ing in my crappy room is still my preferrence.

Would love to try the Palmer sometime....

Trending Topics