Best direct guitar preamp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by silencer eleven, Jun 28, 2006.

1. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

Hi, looking for a good sounding guitar preamp. Have heard good things about the sansamp gt2. But a bit lost. Looking for something can can be quite versatile with overdrive sounds, go from a good crunch and rock tone to a fuzz sound.

Thanks

Evan

2. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Track down a Koch Pedaltone pre. It's pretty much the front-end from one of their Twintone amps in a floor unit with four switches. Great clean channel with a footswitchable "enhance" (read scooped mids), a medium-gain channel that footswitches into high-gain, a footswitchable 1/2 watt power amp with its own gain and volume controls, and a switchable solo/rhythm function. It has every type of output you'd ever need. The speaker-simulated out sounds like a miced-up 2X12. On the last couple of records I cut some stuff in the control room using just the Pedaltone with the intention of replacing the parts with my miked-up amp in the big room... never replaced them as the Tone was there. The thing it does best of all is high-gain; I've never heard a high-gain sound that retained its definition so well. With everything dimed you can hear every note in a complex chord. My secret weapon!-Eric

3. bubblygum

bubblygum Member

I'm not saying it's "the best" but you should look into the JD10 from Award Session at http://www.award-session.com/jd10.html

It's only £75 and they have a "Try it at home with our 14 Day ‘Money Back If Not Delighted’ Offer" so it's relatively risk free. I have one of the older models and I reckon it's pretty good, I wouldn't say it's perfect (what is?) but it does have some excellent tones, is well made and etc. etc. I use mine for direct recording demos at home on my Tascam 4 track tape and I'm always pleased with the sound. Just a note though - I always use my Carl Martin Compressor/Limiter (an excellent pedal as well IMHO) for recording as that really seems to help the tone.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've owned a JD10, thought it was pretty good for the price but kind of a one trick pony compared to the Koch or the Sansamp. I had the GT3, and truly prefer the original Sansamp pedal (if you do a search I've posted a lot about this) great pedal for direct recording, can be used in place of an amp at a gig (direct to the board), very flexible tones from Fender clean thru pretty high gain and not NEARLY as expensive as the Koch! Not sure there's anything else I'd look at right now...

5. journo

journo Member

Hi,

So far my favourite is the Boss GS-10. If you want a floor unit you can get the same sounds out of the GT-8 (minus the bass amp sims). Every tune I have posted in the Sound Clip section here at the Gear Page has been recorded direct with the GS-10.

If you, for some reason, don't want to go digital then I would suggest a used Marshall DRP-1 and hook your favourite pedals in front of it. To get it to sound good with clean sounds you need to get a bit of compression and a bit of extra eq.

Cheers,

Mats N

6. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

thanks alot everybody for your replies i'll look into them.

Evan

7. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

Hi There,

Has anyone tried running like the direct out of an actual amp like a Univalve into a cab sim?

I was even toying with the idea of running a direct out into the cabinet simulators of Amplitube...

8. Unburst

Unburst Member

Ed DeGenaro did a lot of clips using a amp into a Hot Plate set as a load and Guitar Rig's speaker sims.
    Sounded great.

I've done some recording using an amp running through an A/DA Microcab, results were pretty hapening to my ear.

9. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

FWIW, I've recorded direct with a Triaxis, a JMP1, a Rockman Model 200 Sustainer, a bunch of amps through a THD Hotplate, and a old SanAmp rackmount. Honestly, they ALL worked great with the end result being a very happening recorded tone.

IMHO, the trick is making sure your preamp/amp output levels and computer software input levels are set just right. Too hot and it'll over saturate and become buzzy, too low and it'll sound thin and sterile. I've found that post processing doesn't really help if you've got a poorly recorded tone to work with.

/Your mileage may vary, batteries not included, etc...

10. oxtone

oxtone Member

Try a Marshall JMP-1: I've gotten excellent results with mine on direct recording sessions. The Cabinet Simulator Outs sound very good direct through a board. It's a versatile tube preamp with four channels (2 clean & 2 overdrive), and 100 possible presets.

11. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

i use a Voodoo Lab Guitar Preamp when i go direct. It has a built-in cabtone speaker simulator that has closed back 4x12 or open back 2x12 settings. 3 footswitchable channels that are voiced after Fender clean, Marshall rhythm and Boogie lead. Sounds awesome!!!

I have had a sansamp GT2, Tri-AC and POD XT Live.. this is the best sounding and best-feeling one of the lot. It truly sounds like a mic'd tube amp when direct to the board.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Well, if you're thinking of using an amp, there's a couple of ways to do it. Something like a Redbox or Cabtone does a nice job of pulling a cab compensated sound out of the amp. On the higher end, Palmer, GT and others build more complex direct outs. Or you can run from a line out (preamp sound only) to a cab simulator or some kind...