1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best dirt boxes w/early Marshall-style amps?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by smilefan, Mar 1, 2006.

1. smilefan

smilefan Member

Those of you that use early Marshall-style amps,
    JTM-45, JTM-50, or Plexi-style circuits, what dirt
    boxes have you found to be the best fit for
    this kind of amp?

Anything from boosters to fuzz. Looking for any
    "natural" fits like Tube Screamers w/BF Fenders.

2. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Fuzz Faces but watch the flubby bottom end with humbuckers and also Tone bender type fuzzes. Also treble boosters smoke with non master Marshalls. Check out D*A*M seriously and email David at D*A*M for custom shop creations.

3. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Cornish SS-2 is fantastic for a JTM45.

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I like my COT 50 with a Plexi, just turn off the Presence and instant David Grissom tones. My Pink Purple Fuzz sounds killer as well. For Texax blues tones, the Fulldrive II Mosfet is great.

I play my Plexi on 3:00 so I'm already distorting naturally and these pedals just add to it.

5. THROBAK

THROBAK Vendor

I think the older British amp circuits sound best with the classic transistor stomp box circuits.

Fuzz Face circuits will do Cream and Hendrix. Rangemaster circuits will do Clapton Beano tones and even Allman Brothers tones (Betts solo on One Way Out). Sola Sound Tone Bender MKII Professional circuits do Jeff Beck Yardbirds and Jimmy Page tones. Colorsound Overdriver circuits do early Jeff Beck solo act tones.

I have quite a few clips of these circuits with my Marshall 1974x clone at www.throbak.com.

6. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Throbak, I am with you. If not for D*A*M I would have one of each of your flavors on my board this minute!!! I do not like chip or op-amp based pedals with Marshalls. Especially with PAF equipped guitars. I find them too compressed and they seem to have a plastic quality to them like you are playing through a Boss pedal-I cannot explain it but the tranny based vintage desings sound best-probably because all of those classic tones from Zep to Jimi to Cream, Allmans, Jeff Beck were all Marshalls with tranny based pedals.

7. THROBAK

THROBAK Vendor

I find with op-amp circuits that with higher gain settings you can practically hear the op-amp at work grinding out the distorted tones. You get more natural amp like distortion with transistors. I also think you just get a fuller tonal spectrum with transistor based circuits. This is not to say there are no good op-amp circuits but as a general rule when comparing the two designs I think my observations hold up.

8. stark

stark Supporting Member

MIJ Boss DS-1

Adam Stark

9. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Way to counter all the other posts Adam!!!!

I have a KILLER modded ds1 and sd1 that can be dialed in to match ANY amp that I love, but yes there are many pedals you can use with these amps , and not just fuzzes. ERIC

10. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

YA!!!!! DS-1 ones are the best pedal, like ZOOM for coloring any amp to sound exactly the pedal!!! Why do silly stupid people spend thousands of dollars on vintage or boutique amps??????? D.a.m. those monkeys!

heheh