Best Dist/Fuzz, Chorus and Delay for under $200?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nictimes2, Mar 14, 2008.

1. nictimes2

nictimes2 Member

Hey everyone, I'm trying to put together a "gig board" for playing out. My goal is to populate it with all sub $200 dollar pedals, if possible. After a couple of close calls, I've decided to leave the real high-dollar stuff at home. Yep, there's a ZIM in this lineup but it was < $200 because I had a couple of extra cards. Here's my planned setup:

Strat =>

Wah: Morley Bad Horsie 2
    Distortion: ?
    Heavy OD: ZIM H9
    Light OD: ZIM VT
    Chorus/Mod: ?
    Delay: ?
    Looping: Boss RC-2

This is much simpler than my home setup, but will be a lot more manageable "on the road" so to speak.

So after all of that, the question is, what are the best Distortion/Fuzz, Chorus and Delay pedals that can be had for under $200 a piece brand new? I'm trying to avoid used stuff or bidding wars. I know there will probably be a lot of "Crunch Box" answers to the distortion question - I've tried it and it didn't work for me. Are there any others?

All opinions welcome and I would appreciate any advice I can get...

Thanks! :dude

2. jacstraw84

jacstraw84 Member

I really like my Keeley DS-1 Ultra. It sounds like a really good distortion channel on an amp. I have a fender hot rod deluxe which has a crappy overdrive channel so the ds-1 solves that problem.

3. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

Dist: ProCo Rat (made in USA), Keeley DS-1, MI Audio CrunchBox
    Fuzz: Big Muff, Dunlap Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face, FoxRox Hot Silicon or Skreddy Mayo
    Chorus: Small Clone or Analogman Bi-Chorus
    Delay: DD-3, DD-20, DE-7, or Analogman ar20dl

4. nictimes2

nictimes2 Member

Thanks for the input guys, anyone else have any recommendations?

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

Distortion/Fuzz-Lovepedal 200lb

6. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

They make pedals for under $200 ?.............NO FREAKING WAY!

7. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

This is just my take but I use lots of affordable gear in my board. I'm sure others will have different suggestions.

Danelectro Fab pedals; like their Chorus and Flange are dirt cheap (about $20-$30 AU each) and sound really good. Don't let the ultra-low price and plastic upper casings put you off - they're completely giggable and with the change you can buy back-ups. The Fab pedals have buffers (not true bypass) but don't suck any tone when used in your effects loop IMO - and I'm very picky about this. Anything that thins my sound, that can't be easily modified to accept true bypass like Dunlop wahs etc, regardless of price doesn't get a place in my board - it gets listed on eBay and I get rid of it. I've done this with pedals that cost 3 times as much as the Fab products.

For delays I use a Moen Pretty Dolly ($80 AU; true bypass) for medium length, analog-sounding echo, a Danelectro Fab Echo for slapback and a Behringer DD100 for timed, longer, crisper delays ($40 AU - buffered but also not a tone sucker). I also use a Moen Shaky Jimi (true bypass) for Univibe tones. All of the above except the DD100 goes through the effects loop of my wet amp. I use the DD100 to split my signal to two amps for stereo.

For fuzz I like the Electro Harmonix Double Muff - it's pretty cheap (around $100 AU street value) and hard to get a bad sound of, although it's not really a nasty red lightsabre fuzz sound, rather it sounds creamy and smooth through my rig. You have to put it in front of your chain though.

For distortion/overdrive I'm using the Danelectro Fab Overdrive ($20 AU eBay) just as a lead booster set with the gain on 0 and the level on 3/4s and the tone on 1/2 - awesome pedal for the price; gives a great volume boost and has the midrangey Tubescreamer sound going on. I only use it on top of my already semi-distorted rhythm tone to send my 2 amps over the edge.

I use other pedals too, like a modded Dunlop wah and Boss volume, Danelectro octaver etc; though I'm just responding to what you're looking for. All the stuff above is very affordable and you could probably get nearly everything for around $200 and all of the pedals suggested except the EH Double Muff run off Boss-style adapters. I like my fuzz to run on old style batteries anyway!!!

8. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

use a dd20 for chorus and delay. . . been doing it for almost a year now. otherwise, a ce5 is an excellent chorus (dave kilminster of roger waters even digs it as much as i do)

edit: forgot the cmatmods fr8_trane brownie for 130 bucks for distortion.