Best Distortion box for nice , tight low end crunch ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by handyman11, Feb 25, 2008.

1. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

Posted this in Amps and Cabs by accident ...

I have a Keeley Ds-1 and Keeley BD-2 ..nice pedals , but I'm still looking for that sound I heard when I took my kids to Warped tour and other 'New Found Glory' shows a few years back ....tough to explain , but ,althoug the bands may not be what I saw when I was younger , I liked that tight crunch they would get on chords ...

I've tried a Direct Drive ( decent pedal , but not that sound ) and a V1 Crunch box ( not bad , but sounded alot like my BD- 2 when the Gain was cranked on the BD-2 ) .. my amps have been a Pro Junior , Peavey C30 , and now a Blackheart 5watt ..

Most of these bands used some kind of Marshall , but I play out once a year , where we are miked , and my 15 watt Pro Junior keeps up with a drummer when we jam , through a 2X12 ... I want to stay with a very low watt head (5-15 watt ) through a 2X12 ....

Was looking at a Box of Rock , or OCD , and may try them ....

Any suggestions would be appreciated ...thanks

2. Fatso Forgottso

Fatso Forgottso Member

mxr distortion III is excellent

3. Dearthian

Dearthian Member

I just picked up a Menatone King of the Britains. It goes after the 1968 (I think) Marshall Plexi circuit. Killer crunchy sound. 3 different voicings and a boost circuit to boot.

4. ungarn

ungarn Member

Boss Metal Core ML-2 for really low end...

5. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

Definately NOT a BOR or an OCD for that tight type of sound. I remember
    when I played boogies a BB preamp was great for tighting it up.

6. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I use a pair of Pro Juniors...

H&K Tube Factor (my favorite - huge form factor though)
    Lovepedal 800 (my favorite small pedal for live use)
    Visual Sound Jekyl & Hyde (sounds great with Pro Junior)
    Crunchbox V2 (best for low volume situation)

7. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

DNA Gainf@#$er has really tight bottom end crunch.

8. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

I just got a Wampler (Indyguitarist) Plextortion last week. It is killer! I'm done looking for my main sound, now just need a good OD/boost to stack on it. I will say I got the older build with the boost button. I think the new design he has now is probably better as I leave the boost on most of the time for extra oomph. It's really dirty, but is touch sensitive and not muddy, and cleans up nicely. Good for a little tease or major grind.

He also does his sound clips through non-expensive amps like you are talking about. I play a Peavey Classic 50 and a strat, and it sounds just like his Classic 50 clip with his strat.

Check em out -> www.wamplerpedals.com

He builds after orders are placed, so expect about 18 days or so on an order. *Hint* - to save some $$ on an order join his newsletter.

9. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

marshall guvnor...the new one...has a bass and a deep bass tone control, along with a mid and high tone control...sounds great through my drri or peavey classic 30...lots of low end growl...angus young would be proud

10. funkycam

funkycam Member

what guitar are you using?

11. steveb

steveb Member

Marshall Shredmaster. Closest thing I've found for Marshall tones at manageable volumes.

12. TimH

TimH Member

Sorry...that tones can't be really had with pedals through a 15 watt amp. As a compromise any of the pedals mentioned are fine but if you want that sound, even at low volumes, you need a 50 watt MV amp with lots of preamp gain.

13. Yup

Yup Supporting Member

14. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

IMHO the Keeley BD2 is not bad for that nice tight crunch, the Keeley Fuzzhead may be a bit tighter and can give a more thunderous meaty crunch if that is what you mean. But I think your gonna need more headroom to get that tightness your after cause 15 watts running flat out is gonna be a bit compressed and loose no matter what pedal you goose it with. Actually any pedal you goose it with would probably just make it looser and more compressed! Try it without any pedals, it may be better, but still those EL84's are gonna give a lot of compression nontheless.
    Best Regards!

15. old crow

old crow Supporting Member

Diamond J Drive will get you there.

16. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

I use a HSS Lone star strat with a Pearly Gates HB ....got close with my Laney PT 50 , but just sold it as it was too much for what I was doing ...actually was also looking at Keeley Fuzz head , as I like the Keeley pedals I have ... thanks for the good advice so far ..

17. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

I used to have a Fuzz Head, but I sold it to pay for some other things I wanted to try. It's got GOOD tone, but it didn't stack well with other pedals. For it to sound right, it needed to be dead first in my pedal lineup. I will own another someday, I think.