Best Distortion/Hard Rock Sound for Vox???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thegearguy, Feb 28, 2006.

1. thegearguy

thegearguy Member

I'm looking at buying a Vox ac30 ( I love the tone both clean and driven), with either celestion greenbacks or blues. However I'm wondering If I can get a good hard rock sound out of it, and what would anyone suggest to get this sound. Right now I plan on using an Analogman brown modded sd-1 for the lighter overdrive. I've read good things about the Tonebone Hot British and the older model ProCo Rats.

2. Bradders

Bradders Member

FWIW - having had many Voxs - the hard rock sound and Vox doesn't immediately spring to my mind. What does, mind you is that baby turned up with the tubes cooking to get one of the best rock/indie rhythms tones out there.

3. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I love the Hot Cake. I used it a ton with my Black Cat and I hear it is great with an AC-30.

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Dean Deleo (Stone Temple Pilots) uses an AC30. Might want to look at his rig to see what he's doing to get those heavy sounds.

5. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Most of Deleo's "heavy" sounds are from his Demeter TGP-3 Preamp into a VHT Power amp, I think in stereo with the AC 30.

6. bscepter

bscepter Member

I dunno... I play "hard rock," and I love the tone of my SG through a cranked AC30 (or, in my case, a cranked Hayseed 30). Unless you're looking for a NĂ¼ Metal "scooped-mid" triple-rec tone, I think you'll be pretty happy with an AC30.

7. Gabesdaman

Gabesdaman Member

i used to use an OCD with my ac30 with greenbacks...i felt like the ocd did a really good job with a multitude of rock sounds...i could never crank it loud enough onstage to get power amp distortion, but i was very happy with how the ocd sounded through the amp...plus, it is very responsive to the volume on your guitar...if you turn it down, you get a nice clean that doesn't lose any presence or punch

8. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    With my Hayseed, I have two different options for heavier overdrive: 1) Rangemaster clone into the ef-86 driven Normal channel and 2) a Menatone King of the Britains 6 knob version through the Top Boost channel. Both are good, slightly different flavors, the Menatone KOB worked very well with my true Vox AC-30 amps too.

9. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

my ac-30 has 1 weber blue and 1 silver and i use an analogman beano through it. you can totally get a good hard rock sound with it. i can get zeppelin, stones, and heavier with this. i remember going to see guns n roses in '92 and gilby clarke used ac-30's. gnr is pretty hard rock, right?

10. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

That's one I always forget when I think about who uses TGA-3. But a good example nonetheless.

11. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Agreed. My point is that he still has the 'chime' with the heavyness. He does the stereo thing because he's the single guitarist in the band. Most of us don't need that 'fullness'.

You put a heavy distortion pedal in front of this thing, and it will be heavy. It will be certainly interesting, but heavy nonetheless.

I watched a band called 'Blue October' (both guitarists played AC30's). The lead had a AC30HW head that sounded incredible with a pedal and heavy sounds.

12. KDSI44

KDSI44 Member

ive got an ac-30 and ac-15 right now....ive tried the eternity, hotcake, mosferatu...and did not like those pedals with my vox....i juts got in a zendrive, so ill be trying that tonight....the pedals ive kept so far include the bjf honey bee and bjf emerald green distortion machine....these 2 pedals absolutely rock....honey bee for mild overdrive, and the emerald for rock....incredible

13. ROKY

ROKY Member

James Williamson got a HARD-rockin sound on the Stooges Raw Power album.

Les Paul thru a cranked AC30 .

14. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Closed back cab might help too.

I've got a Hayseed 30 head coming and I will be running it through a Kingsley 2x12 cab with alnico weber blue dogs. The Kingsley has a removeable back for semi-open or closed back operation. It actually sounds great with the closed back on (with my Mesa Blue Angel). Definitely works better with fuzz pedals and distortion than when open back. I'm curious how the Hayseed 30 will sound when I run the Kingsley cab closed. Not the "traditional" way of running a vox, but I think it will be nice.

15. thegearguy

thegearguy Member

Thanks for all of the feedback, they are much appreciated. :) Sounds like this amp will be what I am looking for. Keep the replies coming, especially those regarding which pedals you run through your AC-30 to get that rock sound.
    :dude

16. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

If you can ever find them, Unknown Hinson has some old clips floating around [video], where he is wanking on his SG into an AC30. He finishes just ripping some licks and says, "See now [yeah, yeah] any 15 year old PUNK can play that [yeah, yeah]. But to play country and western, see now [yeah, yeah] that takes REAL talent......."
    The tones that he got were just smoking!

Search the net and find them if you can. Well worth the watch.

M.E.

17. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Why, here's a quote from the Greatest Country and Wester Troubador that ever lived [yeh' yeh']............

"I do it as a disclaimer," explains Hinson. "The reason I play occasional rawk in my show dates and concerts is just to show the youngerns that it don't take no talent to play that mess."

U.H.

18. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

I was going to try one of these today, but didn't have time. It was right there in the store.

19. JLeurck

JLeurck Member

Brian May = good distortion/hard rockin' AC30 tones......no, GREAT distortion/hard rockin' AC30 tones. He, like many other posters mentioned doing, slams the front end of the amp with an overdrive. Some sort of treble-booster, but I cannot remember off the top of my head exactly what he uses. Very unique sound and heavy as all hell.

20. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

He runs a treble booster (I forget which brand) into the Normal channel. The normal channel is more pedal friendly than the Top Boost channel.

taco