1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

best distortion pedal for Fender Deluxe Reverb RI

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gigino, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Gigino

Gigino Member

Some days ago, i've bought a fender DRRI to get great clean tones at home. I' ve also tried some distortion pedal with it without success (Vox Cooltron Bulldog, Boss Sd-1, RAT 2). Have you some idea on how to get a good distorted sound with a DR? i'm talking about smooth lead sound and a good crunch, something for classic rock and hard rock (no metal and modern metal).

Remember al at pretty low volume (master on 3 - 3,5)

2. radcliff

radcliff Member

A Fulldrive 2 is a great starting point.

3. PierreL

PierreL Supporting Member

MI Audio Crunchbox would fill the bill.

4. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've got a DR (not a reissue) and have had the FDII (not enough gain for me) and the Crunchbox (way to much mud for me). A ToneBone Classic might be the most versatile pedal available for clean Fender amps. Light crunch to over-the-top distortion. I've been through just about everything that will suggested at a good forum like this, and the TB just keeps coming back, and the endless line of boutique OD/distortions keep getting sidelined.

5. ungarn

ungarn Member

For British Crunch on the cheap it is hard to beat a Marshall Guv'nor GV-2.

Do a search on the Digitech Bad Monkey here at TGP...absolutely unbeatable for the price, and VERY versatile.

Good luck!

6. StratAtak83

StratAtak83 Member

Well the bright channel is picky about dirt pedals, try them in the normal channel , which takes em pretty good ..

7. mild

mild Member

Mmmm, fender distortions... The fulldrive is +1'd by myself, remember its basically an updated tubescreamer, so if that's your gig I'd check it out.

From there, I would reccomend checking out a Keeley jobbed BD2? These are always great with Fenders, and stack really nicely with a Screamer styled pedal. Either that, or a Hotcake.

(My rig is an AC30, but I also own, and have owned some Fenders, and the BD2 was only replaced by the Hotcake when I went Vox. I use a Cusack Screamer for my big chorus sound, Hotcake/BD2 fulltime rhythm.)

Hope that helps, and good luck.

8. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

TS-9 Tube Screamer, Barber Direct Drive SS, Fulldrive2, Fulltone OCD...

peace,

jb

9. JPenn

JPenn Member

Try a Barber Direct Drive. It can do a high gain TS-type sound, which seems to work well with Fenders.

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I've tried them all. Most of the ones mentioned above are TS variations...you step on them and all your highs disappear.

My favorite (for this month) is the new Seymour Duncan Twin Tube. 2 channels, REAL tone controls, very transparent if you want it to be. I does the "slighltly overdriven amp thing" better than any pedal I've tried. Does a great Marshall type of OD on the higher gain channel.

11. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I bought a DRRI 3 months ago. I have 4 pedals that are working great for rocking tone. Blue Boy Deluxe, Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive, Hot Cake, and '80's Rat. The Rat has the most distortion. My favorite out of the 4 is the LDO. I also use the HC to beef up the clean tone, it sounds like the volume is between 5-7. I'm not sure if this makes since, but my volume is on 3 with the HC, and it gets the thick tone on the edge of break up.

12. curtisstetka

curtisstetka Member

I have a 70s SFDR. My two favorite OD pedals are my FD2 (flat mids era) and the Bad Monkey. It's stoooopid how great that Bad Monkey sounds considering the $40 I paid for it.

I also built myself a boost pedal I call The Stuff. http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/curtisstetka/TheStuff.jpg

Between those pedals I've got a huge pallette of OD/distortion available out of my Deluxe Reverb (which I also run around 3-4 on the volume)

13. drolling

drolling Member

mm.. got an original Deluxe Reverb that's very 'pedal-friendly', but I never liked Boss ODs or Rats, either. Haven't tried those VOX pedals, but they sure are cool looking.

I'd be inclined to second the FD2 recommendation, but I just kicked mine off the board for a new Diamond J-Drive TR. Similar size/control layout to the Fulldrive, but the 'warmth' control's great for dialing in a smooth, thick lead tone. There's also a bright switch and a clean boost w/pull-pot to engage some NOS germanium trannies - perfect for cutting rhythm crunch tones..

14. JeffGT

JeffGT Member

Have to agree with pullagnm here, I've tried a bunch and the Landgraff is my pick. As much gain as you ever need and smooth. I swapped out a part or two (using his tone kit...easy) to add a bit of bass, and its perfect. The Barber DD, MI Blue Boy and Tonebone Classic work well too.

15. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Well the combination of tubescreamer with a rat is pretty classic with that amp. I know several people who have gigged forever with that and occasionally a wah. for an example of the TS into Rat check out John Felty's lead work at www.jupitercoyote.com he's actually using an original blackface (mid 60's) DR but you'll get the idea. He uses mainly a Dodson strat style guitar with little 59's in all positions.

I really like the BBOD and Dyna Red combo in the DDRI, but essentially the DDRI is like a blank piece of paper for me, I just love it with almost everything. EGDM as well is a great sounding voxy kind of distortion.

The FD2 would be excellent, but you're probably going to want to use some kind of stacked solution.

Eternity boosted with a COT or maybe a Black Beauty for solos would be awesome. You can only go about 1000 ways with this thing.

I've used a Barber DD for 4 years now and I just like it's sounds better than any TS type I've ever tried.

16. Don L

Don L Member

Many good ones as mentioned above. My current favs are CJOD and LDO.

17. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I think you're going to have to stack to get both crunch and smooth OD. AT that point, there's a million pedals to try, but one should be a TS808 variant (which sound great with Fenders IMHO). My current favorite is the Foxrox Zim. Add a Zendrive or a Big Muff or a Burn Unit for sustain and you're done...

18. Franklin

Franklin Member

Check out the Analog Man modded Maxon SD9, it's perfect for my DRRI -and true bypass if you care about stuff like that....

19. jgyn

jgyn Member

Right now I'm playing a Les Paul through an HAO Rumble Mod and a DRRI and am getting some Peter Greenish whine-tone with the reverb.

20. 59model

59model Member

Barber Burn Unit EQ and the Tonebone Trimode. Both have rythem and lead settings and volume, and can be bypassed to enjoy that nice clean Deluxe tone. The Barber sounds Dumblish and the Tonebone Marshally. Simple setup that works for me anyway. Good Luck!