1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best distortion pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GrisGrisFunk, Jan 28, 2006.

1. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

In everyone's opinion, what are the best distortion pedals on the market today (or reissues). I'm looking for a new pedal that will do classic rock distortion with nice tone and sustain. Also, one that will clean up nice when I roll the volume down. Price isn't an issue. Just looking for advice. I'm into Floyd, Rush, Allmans, Gov't Mule, etc. Thanks!

Mike

2. CNP

CNP Member

I like my MI Audio Tube Zone.

3. ajric

ajric Member

+1

Cheers
    Anthony

4. kfowler11

kfowler11 Guest

Simple Boss Distortion pedal works for me

5. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Skreddy top fuel for Pink floyd
    Or ICBM (which from a nurses point of view is a VERY funny name)

for allman bros/govt mule you may want an overdrive not a distortion (blues pro comes to mind)

Dont know about acheiving rush's tone but a tonebone classic may get you there

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

There are a bazillion good pedals out there, and you will soon hear from everyone on their faves, i.e., what they own.

Seems to me the right calls will depend on your particular combination of amp, guitar, and other gear, since even the best pedals work differently with different amps/guitars, etc. F'rinstance, I had an overdrive pedal that was amazing with a Fender or Mesa, but absolutely sucked with a Bogner I had. It just didn't match up well.

What will you be playing the pedal with?

7. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

I have a Fender Strat and Gibson Les Paul going into a Reeves Custom 50 watt. I have a Cornish P-2 Fuzz that is an awesome pedal. But I'm looking for some other pedals. I do have a Cornish SS-2, but I'm thinking of getting rid of it. I was thinking about getting a Colorsound Power Boost. But I would like to possibly look into some other pedals.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Mike

8. KRosser

KRosser Member

I really love, and regularly use, the BJF Dyna Red Distortion. It fits all the characteristics you describe

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

Don't overlook the Maxon SD9, I have an Analog Man modded one!

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

For an underpriced (you read that right) and amazing pedal, check out the marshall jackhammer. Has an OD and Distortion mode and should be able to get you almost any quality tone you'd like.

For classic rock, you can also check out indyguitarist's "vintage" modded DS-1
    soundclip: http://www.indyguitarist.com/soundclips/ds1-vintage-605.mp3

+1 on the tonebone classic (or tri-mode) though!