Best Dot Reissue ES-335

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by clothwiring, Feb 15, 2006.

1. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

What are the best Dot Reissue ES-335s era? Considering 1981 - current? I hear people say the first few years and also the mid 90s. Looking for some informed opinions on this as a 335 is probably my next purchase. Thanks.

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

The current Historics with the long pickguard (to bridge bottom). Nice fairly stout '59 neck, perfect fret size, 57 PAFs, nicely built. Sounds great. Miss mine.

3. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

I have an '84 with a 59 type of neck profile and pretty light. Overall pretty well made, much nicer than some of the more recent ones I've seen. I have no experience with the custom shop stuff.
    ArnieZ

4. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Current Historics are nice, as a rule. Early '80s dot reissues can also be very nice. I've owned both. In both cases, opinions vary a lot regarding the pickups. Also, for whatever reason, it seems like the guitar-to-guitar variation (tone-wise) with 335s is very large. I don't think you can sum it up neatly as "one era is better than another."

I think it's a matter of playing as many as you can find, and wait to buy until you find one that really blows up your dress. Regardless of what era it's from.

5. Mwoodbro

Mwoodbro Silver Supporting Member

I also have an '84. Cherry burst. I'd say the neck on mine is medium profile. Somewhere between 60's and 50's/59 profile. It is a great playing and sounding guitar.

6. billygoat

billygoat Member

96 dot over here. Slim taper neck, but super super light. Nice flamey top.

7. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

If you aren't completely wedded to the Gibson name, I can highly recommend the Tokai ES120. Just a beautiful guitar.

8. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I think if I was going to go away from the Gibson line, I'd get a Ibanez Scofield model.

9. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

Second on the current Historic models. If you want dots and a big neck, go with the Historic 59. If you prefer a slimmer neck and do not mind blocks go with the 63 (which i recently did and could not be happier).

If you decide to go the historic route, purchase from a reputable dealer or someone with impeccable references if you decide to go used.

They are very $$, but worth every penny of you are looking for the best 335 available.

10. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

+2 on the Tokai. There is one at Guitarworld in Cobourg, that just blows away most recent Gibson dot RI`s I`ve played. Just an outstanding feeling neck, and very close tonewise. With some quality PU`s it`d be one hard to beat axe.

CT.

11. leoman57

leoman57 Guest

I have owned about 10 various ES-335's, 345's and a Lucille. Some from the early 60's, late 60's and 3 red ES-335's, one made in the early 90's, one 2001 and one in 2002. Not to mention the 30 or so Les Pauls......ok so I won't mention them.

I think the construction and attention to detail, quality of the wood and playability was better in the late 80's and early 90's. The one's made in 2000 were not as good. But after I put klusons on them, Tom Holmes pups and a hollow aluminum tail piece in all honesty they sounded so good I would have put them up against a real 59-60.

And the more I played them the better they sounded..... I have played about 20 of them made from the late 80's to recent and they all sounded and played great. It's just the little things that started slipping, like a little orange peel in the finish near the neck body edge on top. The neck profile on the 2002 was a little strange more of a U than a C. That was the only one I ever played that had that neck profile.

12. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I've got a 1982 Dot Reissue. I've had it for about 8 years and it is one of my all time favorite guitars. Blonde, of course! :) Can't honestly say that I've compared to to other year models, though I did own a 1967 ES335 in the mid'80's for a few years.

13. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

got an 89 dot reissue. wonderfully made guitar and great sounding with the stock PAF nonames (pre-57 classic). finish is blond and already checking nicely, showing it's age already. really nice looking guitars, and totally different sounding than recent reissues, at least to me. Feels lighter too.