1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

best DRZ amp for humbuckers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joolzriff, Oct 25, 2005.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

and occasional single coils.....
    i'm using a lespaul in a classic rock outfit w/ some occasional blues.
    i have only tried a maz 38 non re verb head in a store and i was impressed but i havnt tried it with a band and i used a tele in the shop...
    what Z amp would be my trip,leaning more towards brit tone than american fender

2. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Hands down Route 66.

Chuck

3. Neil

Neil Member

Good question.

What would be the answer to this question if it werent restricted to Dr Z? Is there a better solution outside the Dr Z range?

Just curious.

4. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

well,as i said i was trying a maz out and i was impressed by the z thing,they look great sound great and they are portable and fairly small and fairly priced..........if u have another suggestion please tell as i am interested.

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

The 6545 works great with HB's. I used one with a LP for about a year in my rock band.

6. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

My fave is the KT 45. Kinda Hiwatt meets Marshall. Very nice. The 66 is cool, but is a very dark amp and can be too dark IMO with humbuckers.

7. hipfan

hipfan Member

Riff is right.

6545 - *Beautiful* Brit crunch tones with humbuckers or P90's and some British cone speakers. I had one for a while and loved it. If it had an effects loop, I'd still have it today.

I'm sure the KT45 works great too with this set-up, because the 6545 basically contains both the KT45's circuit and then also the SRZ65's in separate channels.

8. gls500

gls500 Member

The Ghia/Mazerati, Z28, and Rx accept both extremely well, although the Z28 and Rx require a little bit of tweaking to go between.

I play a Maz38 (Invasion - not the newer Maz Sr) with both single coils and buckers, but I prefer the tone with single coils. It's not that the humbucker tone is bad at all, it's just that it's such an amazing and unique sounding amp with single coils.

My experience with the Rx is with the old version, but I have an Rx-ES coming soon.

9. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

i have an RXES and it's great amp period! both humbuckers and single coils osund great. it definitely will overdrive quicker with humbuckers so if you're looking for more head room i'd go with the kt45 or 6545. but the RXES has great cleans, very responsive to pick attack, responds well to guitar volume changes(cleans up well), takes pedals great, and has two inputs with the lo input having more head room and less gain and the hi input is your normal output channel.

though the RXES's controls are different then the 3 control setup ala kt45/rout 66, you can still get a variety of tones by tweaking all the knobs. plus you get an overdose(boost) option.

10. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Take the cotton out of your ears please:D

11. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Damn, now all my amps are too bright! :D

12. i'll have to check out that 65/45

13. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

My Maz Jr and Delta 88 love humbuckers.

14. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

amps don't really have preference. it's the players that prefer single coil to humbucker.