1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best Ear Plugs??

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by eternally found, Jan 22, 2015.

1. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I got a set of those at the show but haven't tried 'em yet.

2. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Did Dubs release a new model, or is there only one?
    I'd like to try these, but want to make sure to get the right type, Thanks

3. aleclee

4. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

I'm VERY interested! One of our bass players at church showed me these. I need to ask him again, but I love how inconspicuous they are. Hardly noticeable. But I'm worried, only 5db? That's not much. If their claims are 19db and those claims are true, we're in business. The $40 price tag is WELL worth it. Hardly any investment at all.

I'm super interested in these as well! A bit cheaper than the the erasers, but quite a bit more noticeable.

5. ohiomatt33

ohiomatt33 Member

@eternally found - I would not be concerned with the Earasers not cutting enough for you. As long as you put them in right, they stay sealed very well, and cut volume quite a bit. One of the bands I play with, the drummer is literally the loudest player I've ever heard, and this is the general consensus among the whole group and sound guy. Everyone in the band (besides singer) wears Earasers to deal with it, and consider them a gift from the audio Gods.

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I don't know where you got the 5dB from. Maybe because of their clarity it didn't sound like 19dB. I could notice a difference, but it wasn't dramatic. On the other hand, my ears weren't ringing at all the way they usually do after we rehearse, so they did exactly what I wanted them to. They're the only ear plug I didn't want to take out right away. You hardly notice they're there.

7. texasdave

texasdave Gold Supporting Member

I'll take the hit on the 5db, got it from here:
    http://www.earplugstore.com/earasers-hifi-musicians-earplugs.html

The chart on the EARaser site reminds me that when i bought them they explained the variance in blocked freq's, the idea being to protect you from the harmful/painful higher frequencies:

http://www.earasers.net/pages/specifications The comparison with a foam plug is interesting.

Definitely transparent, definitely comfortable. I don't know if it'd be enough to protect me from a loud snare all night. My 2 cents. This is a good reminder to wear them around a bit.

EDITED TO ADD:
    This also swings us back to NRR (Noise Reduction Rating)... what's it really tell us? Found this for an interesting read:

http://www.coopersafety.com/noisereduction.aspx

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  8. GasMask

GasMask Member

I suppose the best earplugs are the ones you'll wear, and a 5 dB reduction is better than nothing. 5 dB isn't close to being enough reduction in loud music environments though. If you look at the attenuation curve of the Earasers, only above 1,000 Hz is the reduction greater than 5 db. It's not as if loud low frequencies cannot harm your hearing.

Here are a couple of interesting charts that show frequency ranges and ear sensitivity. These are interactive charts, so try hovering over the data for more info:

Interactive Frequency Chart:

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Interactive Sensitivity by Frequency:

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/ear_sensitivity.htm

9. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

Agreed^^^ I'm 22, I've got plenty of time left, need to protect! Those were my thoughts on damaging ranges, glad to see there's info out there on it.

10. eicca

eicca Member

Try Surefire Sonic Defenders. $15 ish, designed for gunfire applications. They block sound above a safe volume but allow normal levels through.

11. willie k

willie k Silver Supporting Member

After reading this thread I decided to try some custom fit plugs. Yesterday I picked up my new Westones and they actually reduce the volume level without degrading the tone. Simply amazing. With my tinnitus I can't say they are perfect, but I sure wish I had them years ago. Takes a little getting used to, and getting the molds made was a good deal less than pleasant. $160 including the molds. I got the 15db filters and so far they seem adequate. I'm looking forward to trying them out with the full band and at a loud concert. So far, I am impressed.

12. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I've been using Dubs. They're the first earplugs I've tried that actually fit and reduce db's in both of my ears. I find them to be pretty comfortable as well. No brainier for $25.

13. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

I’m upping this for recommendations on current options.

Anybody still using things mentioned in 2015? Moved to something else?

How about the etymotics music pro? Any good?

14. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

So far so good with me

15. DennyDream

DennyDream Member

I still use mine and they seem fine. I've even tried with and without during a concert/show and yes there is some difference but after a few minutes of them in I'm used to the sound it still seems fine.

The big benefit is not having ringing in my ears or other issues after the concert. I'll take a little impact on the overall sound vs. damaging my ears or having to deal with ringing. And they're a TON better than just foam ear plugs.

16. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

I use the etymotics and I actually think I enjoy concerts better with them in. While I appreciate loud rock shows, I I often find my ears fatigue so quickly that I lose a lot of detail in my ears and end up listening to a muddy show, regardless of how good of a mix it is. I’ll throw my etys in and then maybe take them out for a minute or too if I really want to hear the boom.

17. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

Bumping this thread as well. I'm looking to get earplugs at the moment. I haven't tried any of the brands mentioned here. I just plug my ears with toilet paper (and I like how they roll off volume AND highs). What should I get? Etymotics? Eargasm?

18. Hush

Hush Member

I've been using Earasers for a couple of years and love the fit, but find they do not protect enough at loud concerts. Just made an appointment for custom fit Westones.

19. jmoose

jmoose Member

Best plugs? Custom fit no doubt. Not even debatable for me.

I had a set of 15dB Etymotic molds which I'm 97% sure were lost to the bowels of the NYC subway system, along with an expensive pair of sunglasses a few years ago. Had 'em during the day, but not the next day. Fairly positive the sunglasscase with plugs inside fell out of my backpack on the way home.

To replace those I got a set of these $50 Westone universal fits... figured they're basically the same filters as molded but in a generic fit earpiece. They'll be good right?!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...al-wm16-full-frequency-earplugs-universal-fit

Honestly wish I had just put the money towards another set of molds.

I've been using earplugs for a long time so I was fairly shocked that even with the large piece, my ear basically sucked the thing in and got stuck first time out. Earplug had to be removed with a set of tweezers. Whole thing was pretty scary.

Since then I have used them but I'm extremely reluctant to insert them as recommended so I know I'm not getting a great seal. 16dB? Nah maybe about half of that which is better then nothing. Overall sound quality is still great, very clear but the fit & the tiny silicone tab..? Super dicey.

I also picked up a set of those $12 Hero's - they suck. Super uncomfortable and they sound like crap too. They've never gotten jammed in my ear but I don't use 'em.

Since I'm fairly retired from live sound I've been able to get by with the Westones & regular foamers. Sometimes I'll leave the foams part way out so its not totally cloudy... however I just started filling in on drums for a new band that's basically nailed to 11 - jet engine loud with half stacks blazing and really debating getting another set of molds.

At a certain point, I think you buy and try enough of the $20-50 plugs that you should've just spent $150-200 on molds in the first place. Basically same cost as a good set of pickups or stompbox and the ear plugs are WAY more beneficial in the long run.

aleclee likes this.
  20. aleclee

Your ears are one piece of gear that can't be replaced.

jmoose likes this.