best ef86 for a bad cat tremcat

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by iluvstrats, Mar 14, 2006.

1. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

What's the best ef86 for a trem cat and where can I buy one? Also what difference will a NOS tube make in the tone of this amp?

2. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I loved the Ampherex Bugle Boy in my Matchless Clubman.

3. bscepter

bscepter Member

I've got a Telefunken EF86 in my Hayseed and love it. From what I understand an NOS EF86 will not only gain you tone, but also durability. Current-production EF86s are notorious for quality control, apparently.

I like my Telefunken, but I've also heard that the holy grail EF86 is the GEC one, preferably the Gold Lion version.

4. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

Where's the best place to get an Amperex or telefunkin?

5. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I prefer the Philips Miniwatt EF86 and the ones similar to it - Amperex is one of them IIRC.

IMHO NOS is the only way to go for a good EF86. The new ones pretty much suck - at least the ones I've tried do.

--chiba

6. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

+1 I'm using a Dario in my Z, and ordered a Mullard to try from KCA.

7. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

I just bought a Gold Lion off of ebay. Has anyone ever tried one?

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    We've got Amperex and occasionally have some Telefunkens.

9. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

N.O.S. Amperex Bugleboys Baby! Can't juice a Clubman pre without 'em! :dude

10. kush06

kush06 Member

Hi guys. I've had the opposite experience with my 90's Clubman, NOS bugle boy and telefunkens sounded *horrible* and I thought for years the amp wasn't for me and was a dud. On a whim a few weeks ago, I tried a 90's sovtek that I had bought years ago, and the difference was night and day. I currently have a newer Svetlana in there and couldn't be happier, I'm in pure rock n roll tone heaven.

I've also heard from several local dealers the newer Ef86's are really unreliable and tend to go microphonic out of the box or early in their life.

The way I understand it now, alot of the older EF86's were made for microphones and hi-fi stereos, and are not always a good matchup for a guitar amp. The ones I had were piercingly bright, offered very little gain and I had to literally eq the amp with the bass and treble all the way down, and the presence completely zero'd to get any type of useable tone. With the newer Russian Ef86's it sounds like a whole new amp, like it's supposed to, I figure. I've gone from trying to sell the thing to knowing I'll have it forever just with that one simple tube change.

I don't know how they'd react in a Bad Cat, this is just my experience. I'd just say don't believe all the hype about NOS tubes. YMMV.

-Kush-

11. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

If you're like me, Big Mike, you will prefer the Dario to the Mullard in the Z28. The Mullard is too clean and trebly for my tastes in the Z28. I couldn't keep the treble knob up as high as normal.

Anyway, I sold the Z28 with the Dario in it so I've got a couple Mullards sitting here. Hopefully they are a good match for the Valvetech Hayseed I have coming.

taco

12. michaelg

michaelg Member

Ive been diggin the gec from kca nos

13. Ogre

Ogre Member

Interesting about the good result with the Sovtek. The shop I use won't touch Sovteks, as they have a higher failure rate than ANY other tube.

14. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I tend to hoard all kinds of tubes. I have tried a lot of different EF86's and don't personally see the need to pay a ton for them.
    [​IMG]

I like Telefunkens and you can get find them on ebay for an excellent price. I have had great luck from a seller in Germany "wuertzel-de" and they are only about $20 each shipped. He has 3800 positives and 1 negative so there isn't a lot of risk. Just my experience.

15. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Showoff!:dude