Best EL34 amp under $1000??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MagicNelson, Aug 24, 2008.

1. MagicNelson

MagicNelson Supporting Member

I've got a Crate V-Series amp right now that I've had for about 4 years. It's 50 watts, and it's too much power for what I need it for. It doesn't break up all that nicely either. So I'm looking for a replacement.
    I really love the tone of JCM 800s, so I'm trying to find a similar amp that is a little cheaper and has less power. I'm thinking something with no more than 30 watts and a master volumer would be a plus. I would prefer it to be a head verses combo, also. Any suggestions would be great.

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Unless its single ended, I'm not aware of a low wattage el34 amp. You could always look into an attenuator. Ho/UA makes a great attenuator.

Ceriatone makes a great amp for very little cash. Might want to check them out.

dk

3. heavydutysg135

heavydutysg135 Supporting Member

If you are patient you can easily find a great JCM 800 (2203 or 2204) for under $1000. I got both my 81 2204 and 84 2203 2X12 combo (don't remember the model number) for under $700. I would not settle for anything other than what you want.

4. psb962

psb962 Member

Two EL34s in fixed-bias Class AB will put out about 50W, which is very loud. If the amp has a 'half-power' switch (many Marshalls do) it will switch the power tubes from pentode to triode operation and that takes you down to about 20W.

I cant think of any Marshall-like amps out there with a single EL34. That would require Class A operation. Most Marshall low watters are EL84 amps, of which a pair in Class AB is about 18W, and one EL84 in Class A would be 5W

My point about the the EL84 is that if you get a Marshall 2 x EL34 amp with a half power switch, you have 25W with the EL34s in triode mode, and if thats still too loud or you want variety you can put EL84s in it using Yellow Jacket converters to get 18 or 9W. Which is exactly what I'm thinking about doing.

5. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

Orange Rocker 30 would be a good bet. Runs a pair of 34's class A for 30 watt output.

-Jon

6. bobefann

bobefann Member

if your looking for a cheap amp with el34s and less than 30 watts, go to ceriatone and get a marshall clone. they have the 18 watters over there.

7. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

Get a JCM 800, don't settle for less!

You can get an awesome one for under 1K if you look around a bit and are patient.

8. Rock72

Rock72 Member

You may want to have a look at a Cornford Roadhouse 30 head. It is EL34 and has a master volume. Killer sounds. Don't know how much they will cost you in the U.S., but they are supposedly priced more affordable than the other Cornford amps. It is built like a tanks too. b

9. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Get a Brand new Carvin Legacy head for $799.00 Very good tones, The lead channel can be a bit dark but boostinbg the mids over comes this, plus the clean channel takes all drive and distortion pedals very well

10. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

+ 1. 30 watts and it breaks up VERY nicely.

11. Woozy

Woozy Member

Just some things to consider:

1) 30watts might as well be 50watts. (into the same speaker cab)
    Get an attenuator. For the price, I can't recommend the THD Hotplate enough.

2) Why EL34s? ...I've had and heard some dog EL34 amps.
    Now, I've got my dream Marshall-clone ...with KT66s. (I was shocked, and cancelled plans for EL34s)

3) Why a master volume?
    Maybe you would prefer the sound of the power-stage overdriving more than the pre-amp.

I'm just throwing this out there because they're questions that took me a long time to ask.

12. sfletch

sfletch Member

Peavey Windsor Studio.

Have one, it's fun and loud enough for gigs, and retails for like $399 I think.

It's not jaw-dropping, but it fits your criteria.

13. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

I haven't played one yet but I've read the Traynor YCS50 is a killer amp that comes in well under $1000 and can get JCM like tones....

14. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Traynor YCS-50. Switchable between 50 and 15 watts.

15. frank62

frank62 Member

800 and 900 combos are under 1K all the time.

16. bobefann

bobefann Member

i had a splawn modded 2203 once with kt88s in it. sounded massive. he also modded it for 2 channels. el34s arent the only thing that sounds good in marshall type amps

17. MagicNelson

MagicNelson Supporting Member

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I have looked at older JCM 800s but I think they all have too much power for me, so that's why I'm looking for a clone. But if I can't find anything that gives me that tone, I guess I'll have to settle for the real thing.

I origianlly thought I wanted EL34s since thats what the JCM 800s have, but now that I see the marshall clones that are around 18 watts all have EL84s and sound great, if not better.

I wanted a master volume because on single channel amps, I usually can't turn them up loud enough to get natural break up. I haven't really looked at atennuators, but I think I might start soon. I'll be sure to check out the hot plate.

18. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

How about best vintage, PTP, Hammond transformers EL34 amp below $500?

Traynor YBA-1.

19. hiero

hiero Member

...mentioned earlier... Cornford Roadhouse 30 - here's my combo, but comes as a head too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]