Best Electric Bass for little money

vhollund

What is the best of the nonexpensive Basses?

Squire used to be good in the 80's and cost nearly nothing
who does it today

thanks

Jon C

G&L Tribute

... a used L2000 or SB2 or L2500 can be had for $400-450 and I scored one that stands up to the quality of the US made G&Ls/Fenders/Music Man etc.

$425....:BEER

IMG_0129.jpg

vhollund

Ah that looks cool
I never was a big fan of G&L Guitars, PUs too smooth and sustainy
But i can imagine i would be perfect for a bass

A little note
The Cort Basses, someone told that someone told him that they are good cheap basses
Any comments on that?

Thanks

G&L Tribute

I haven't had extensive experience with the Tribute basses- however, my L-2000 DELIVERS!

Seriously, if the material and construction quality is in any way comparable to the US made G&L stuff, the Tribute L-2000 would be a great instrument. The only thing I had heard (and haven't heard about it in a couple of years) is that the Tributes used cheap jacks... In that case a $3 fix- IF it goes bad.

Dr Git

Man, just like guitars, basses are all over the place too. Not "get a Fender Squire" anymore as far as cheap basses. I'm in the market too right now, and I'm so confused? Hope I pick up a good one that I won't have to replace anything. Its only going to be for recording to my Fostex

Bassomatic

Ibanez or Schecter, based on what I've played recently. Also the occasional mexi or indonesian Fender.

Troser

It depends upon your application; do you want to play metal, rock, country, blues, or what? If you "mostly" want to play country and blues, you'll probably want to look for a used Fender standard Made in Mexico for around $250.00 used... if you go to pawn shops and used music stores, you should be able to play a half-dozen, and choose the best. Then, you could upgrade the pickup and be in business.

If you want to play mostly rock, I'd second the Ibanez vote, and add any 80's Washburn, Jackson, or Charvel (import by Jackson) to the list... for a couple of hundred bucks, you can be rockin' hard. Heck, for two or three hundred bucks you can get a used late 80's Charvel neck-through bass with active pickups and a great neck... a hell of a bass for the money.

Fred Russ

Can the G&L Tribute give you a piano-type string sound for metal too? I've read reviews where it gives you a very cool growl and is quiet, but I have a specific need to have that "new strings round-wound sound" for some of the music we're doing here at the studio.

And yeah, I'm a guitarist who was getting his bass parts using virtual instruments in a sequence. A friend showed me the difference of using a live bass so I'm hooked. What's the best recommendation if not a G&L? It needs to be versatile.

tkozal

G&L is the most versatile you will find in the price..at talkbass it is often refered to as the "swiss army knife " of basses.

Can the G&L Tribute give you a piano-type string sound for metal too? I've read reviews where it gives you a very cool growl and is quiet, but I have a specific need to have that "new strings round-wound sound" for some of the music we're doing here at the studio.

And yeah, I'm a guitarist who was getting his bass parts using virtual instruments in a sequence. A friend showed me the difference of using a live bass so I'm hooked. What's the best recommendation if not a G&L? It needs to be versatile.

My G&L is not quiet. In fact, it's probably a little too hot and too aggressive for most people's idea of a "polite" bass sound. It's my #1 bass for "my" sound and prefer it for most live applications. I used it when I did my stint in a metal band, as well as several rock projects. Right now, my main gig is a Stones cover band- and the G&L is too "present" for that- however when I play with the "variety" band, I use the G&L.

normal_glbody.jpg

normal_glhead.jpg

Ricman

Look at Carvin's website - you can get a model B4, stripped, for $729 - maybe more than you want to go, but you will get A LOT more bass and A LOT more quality than going with a bass at half that price. Worth thinking about...

dougb415

Price range please ...............

The cheapest, biggest bang for the buck would be SX .

Yep. If you're looking for one I have a SX SPJ-62 3TS Sunburst (Fender P/Jazz copy) with Thomastik-Infeld flats that I'm selling. Well under $200. PM me for more info.

Fred Russ

Look at Carvin's website - you can get a model B4, stripped, for $729 - maybe more than you want to go, but you will get A LOT more bass and A LOT more quality than going with a bass at half that price. Worth thinking about...

That's actually a pretty good idea because that was around the cap of what I was willing to spend for a good bass. According to their site, you can get a 5-string B5 for the same price - thanks for the heads up!

* B4s are going for $629 now

Dr Git

Well I sprang for a Douglas Bass from Rondo Music. Truthfully the bass is beyond my expectations for a $200 instrument. Definitely decent quality, and the active electronics are also fantastic....
untitled.jpg

douglas.jpg

KPO

I bought a Farida jazzbass today, made in China, for €220,- The shopowner, friend of mine and bassplayer, told me it was the best cheap bass he saw and played in years. Can compete with Fenders mim, much better than squiers.

Bassomatic

Maybe it's been bad setups, but of the 7 or 8 G&Ls I've grabbed in stores have been pretty lame (imo). I'm quite sure that's been a bad sampling, as so many guys rave about these.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom