• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Best electric guitars for down tuned fingerpicking?

He_Ma

I'm looking electric guitar for down tuned finger picking (electric played almost like acoustic). I would like to have max 25,5 inch scale length so no actual baritones. Tunings maybe from DADGAD to CGCFGC. I'd assume Pickups with tight low end probably help to keep things clear.

What people here use in this type of playing? All ideas are welcome, as well as discussion of what makes guitar to work in this context.

Tomi JR

I mainly play fingerstyle and I’d personally go with a Tele! It has this clear and fast attack that makes all the notes pop out instead of turning into a mush.

I personally mainly use the neck pickup, but all the 3 positions sound great fingerstyle.

He_Ma

T-style was one of my assumptions, but it's always nice to hear from others. I am also wondering how gretsch would do since they seem to have that high end chimey thing going on.

Those that suggested Teles, how low tunings have you used?

Tony Done

I fingerpick electric slide, clean and almost acoustic-like, and I would go for a strat (think Ry Cooder!) with a universal pickup rout and 2*P90 as a start. I use a 30" bari with SD Jazz for open C tuning, and capo for higher tunings, as short thick or slack strings don't sound good to my ear when played clean.

Random1643

Gold Supporting Member
Those're all good suggestions IMO. I can't say if mine's the "best." Works for me. My playing is built around fingerpicking. These days my main gigging guitar - switching per set between standard & drop, open G, open D & C Wahine tunings - is a 2017 Godin A6, a hybrid guitar. 25.5" scale, 16" radius, 1.69" @ the nut, the neck profile is approx medium C, weighs 6 lbs, slim chambered maple T-type body with cedar top, humbucker @ the neck & a UST with onboard controls and ability to blend. I replaced the, to my ears, murky stock HB with a Wilde L-90; very happy with tones now. Settled on Elixir nickel plated nano heavy strings for now; set up @ medium action.

For playing, the guitar has a comfortable familiar feel, similar to my short-scale Simon & Patrick (Godin) acoustic-electric parlor and to acoupla other Seagull (Godin) acoustic-electrics I've owned. Great for picking, strumming, slide.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom