Best electric nylon string guitar

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by duaneallen, Jul 8, 2006.

1. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

I already have a nice traditional classical guitar. I am looking for a good electric nylon string guitar for playing jazz and bossas with. I would like the more modern thinner neck width. I don't want to spend more than $1000. The quality of the pickup/preamp is very important, but I definetely want a solid top. Thanks.

2. landru64

landru64 Member

i'm no expert, but i have been blown away at the sound of those yamaha silent guitars, given how cheap they are. i just used a steel string one for a gig and everyone was really impressed. it played great too. very high quality, and this is coming from someone used to boutique guitars a la sadowsky.

3. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

How much do the godins run?

Also, isnt the Gibby Atkins nylon?

-Jon

4. jordanL

jordanL Member

Check out the Godin ACS. I considered one during my flirtation with guitar synthesis. I think they run around $700 used.

5. Suriel Zayas

Suriel Zayas Member

i had a godin acs, and did not like at all. too many deadspots on the fretboard. however, i picked up an early 90's gibson chet atkins that kicks butt compared to godin.

6. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

FWIW - I have the Cordoba CWE-S. Made in spain, cutaway body, Fishman electronics, narrower neck, gold tuners, solid spruce top, SKB hard shell case and all for less than $1K. I've had it a few years and I love it. Traded a Yamaha for it. Bought it at GC. There are few reviews on HC although none that I have posted.

7. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

While I wasn't looking for one at the time, I picked up an Ibanez AEG10NETNG for around $250. At first I had tried out the "classical' version ga5tce for around $220 (and had had returned to pick this one up) but noticed the AEG on the wall. The AEG10 had nicer appointments, a larger sized body, and a better preamp even though the website describes it as a solid top. Plugged in, the AEG10 sounded much better right away than the GA5 to my ears.

It's a thinner profile, 14 fret nylon with a slightly narrower neck. The preamp (Fishman Sonicore) has level, treble, bass, mids, with mid frequency slider. It sounds nice, the thin profile takes care of the low end feedback problems.

Plugged into my Fishman Loudbox, I was able to dial in a good tone with the amp's eq set to flat. it dials in nicely direct to a house mixing board (through the XLR out) with the hous only really having to roll off the very bottom end. It can get a very warm sound. The only area that takes a little time to dial in is the top end (trying to mellow out the top end atack without making it sound too dull).

That and a Gator case came to around $350 total! I may eventually replace the tuners with something a bit better, but they work fine for now. I still have an Alhambra 5P for classical that I used for college which I bought in the early 80's.

Brett

8. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

I'd look for a used Taylor nylon string. I like the neck, which is less like a classical and more like a steel string.