1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

best Eminence for 1-12 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JeffGT, May 15, 2006.

1. JeffGT

JeffGT Member

What would be the best of the Eminence line for getting a fat, full sound and somewhat smooth high end (but with a little attitude) out of a 1-12 combo? I was thinking it would be between the RW&B, Texas Heat, Wizard and Swamp Thang. I realize I'm not going to get 4-12 bass response. I'm using a Governor now and its not bad, but looking for something a bit bigger sounding.

2. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Eminence legend 122. Handles 35 watts, great speaker.

3. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    You might PM TOMO. aka: Tomo Fujita. Tomo is one of the resident Emi speaker authorities. He'll probably have some good sugestions for you.

I'm sure other users will chime in here with good ideas as well.

Good luck.

4. Srini

Srini Guest

I just put in a RWB in my Fuchs and it sounds great. I also put in a Cannabis Rex in my Bumbox and that sounds great too, only not as bright.

Srini

5. Boogs

Boogs Member

Sounds like a job for the Wizard.

6. cordroad

cordroad Member

I'll throw in my vote for the Texas Heat. Installed one in my Musicman RD65 112 and its yummy.

7. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I second the TH.

8. stu2

stu2 Member

3rd's on the Texas Heat. Just bought one after hearing it in a Fuchs 2x12 open back cab. I put it in my Blues Jr. which now sounds fuller, better low end, and not as ice picky as the stock (Emi Legend 122, I think). Hopefully I've got some more Patriot/Redcoats coming for my B-day which will go into a 2x10, 1x12, and 2x12 cab under construction.

9. Leftee

Leftee Guest

TH has become my main speaker.

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

+1...The Wizard sounds huge in my BadCat Cub...it almost sounds like 2X12s and has improved the volumn avaliable from my amp in a good way...the high end was somewhat sizzly in the beginning but smooths out after break-in which was more apparent with the pushed (pedal/cranked amp) tones...

it sounded great clean right out of the box and now I can crank it with the same results...bass end is very tight and punchy and it's just a really/Chimey/sparkly articulate speaker...

I also have a love a CRex but I have it paired with a Copperhead in my Fargen Dual Classic...its really great with my single coil guitars but can be darker sounding with hums...overdrives really creamy and has a huge bottom end...

Chow,
    Seegs

11. Tomo

Tomo Member

Each one could be best for someone. Please email me.
    I can tell you with your playing touch and styles. Many choices.

Thanks,

Tomo

12. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I'm running an Emi GB12 in a ported Avatar 1x12. It sounds fantastic and mics well. The mids are very nice. Maybe it would work well in your combo.

13. Brick

Brick Member

My Allen Hot Fudge W/ Nuts came with a R/W/B and it sounds great matched with the Brown Faced voicing of that amp.

I also have a C-Rex/R-Fang combo in my Avatar 212 I use with my Ampeg V2 which sounds amazing.

14. hasserl

hasserl Member

For a single 12 application I'd go with a Tonker, no doubt about it. Your description "a fat, full sound and somewhat smooth high end (but with a little attitude)" sounds like you are describing a Tonker.

The Texas Heat is also a very cool speaker, but with a bit more attitude than the Tonker. Either one would be very cool, depending on what you want from the speaker. If you want big, clean and fat, and want the speaker to give up what it gets from the amp with little coloration, go with the Tonker. If you want the speaker to add more of its own signature to the mix, and you dig Billy Gibbons tone, go with the Texas Heat.

15. Tomo

Tomo Member

It's nice to hear everyone's favorite one 12 application.

I really liked my Commonwealth speaker. Bob Burt got one in
    my new micro 12. He loved so much.

Keep coming!

Great thread. So many choices, but this is really nice
    to focus on 1 12.

Thanks,

Tomo

16. tedjac

tedjac Guest

I have both RWB and a Delta Pro 12A. Either one will fit your desciption well... with the Delta Pro 12A being more detailed and somewhat fatter... more refined and more pleasant to listen to... it is also twice the money! The RWB is a good choice if cost is a primary concern. If cost is less of a concern, the Delat Pro 12A or even a new EVM-12L Classic will sound "BETTER" than the RWB... but having said that, the RWB is a pretty darn good speaker.

Ted

17. PFCG

PFCG Member

The Two Rock eminece custom speaker has mega bass response, i play witha guy that has a marshall half stack and i get more bass than he does in a 1x12 cab. Id also check out the commonwealth, that has even more bass i think. Emi's are the best, cant go wrong with any speaker, but id say that the TR speaker is the bees knees

18. scottl

scottl Member

You mean the Red White and Blue? :)

19. jockman

jockman Member

I use the Cannabis Rex, superb speaker for my amp.

20. echobaseone

echobaseone Member

I'm curious about speaker efficiency. I bought one of those $99 valve jr's, and I'm looking to get as much headroom out of it as I can, with a 1X12. I see the 16ohm Man O War is rated at 105.7db, and the 16ohm Wizard is rated at 103.7 db, and I'm currently using an 8ohm Tonespotter (at 100db). Would I see a noticable difference in volume with a speaker switch? Looks good on paper, but has anyone actually switched and noticed?
    Thanks!
    ~Martin